Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: beeping sounds!  (Read 17484 times)

need_ur_help

beeping sounds!
« on: June 04, 2004, 01:07:15 AM »
hey guys, im not a computer expert, and i really need ur help!

i have a pentium 4, windows 98 computer... for a few times already, my computer when you turn it on would produce these long beeping sounds... nothing on the monitor is shown... i tried to repeatedly press restart and sometimes i would be lucky that the pc works again fine but the monitor shows some stuff wherein i would just pick the SAVE CHANGES thingie....this would happen several times but it would come back to it working perfectly fine... one time, my brother encountered the same problem of the beeping sounds and when it stopped the same stuff showed up but he picked DISCARD CHANGES... the monitor then had this INSERT DISK. DISK BOOT ERROR thingie appeared... we finally contacted the computer store whre we bought it, the repairguy said the hard drive (im not sure though) was dirty and loose... he then fixed and cleaned it ...  for little less than two weeks, the computer worked fine but then the beeping sounds were there again... eventhough i try to restart it like before it won't work ok... what do you think is the problem? are my files safe? i wouldnt wanna contact the comp repair guy bcos the fee is quite expensive! please help! what do you advise?  ???
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 01:22:07 AM by need_ur_help »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: beeping sounds!
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:30:11 AM »
    need_ur_help.....Hummmmmmm...I would be looking for another service shop....however ......the beeps you hear
    are a function of the internal diagnostic feature of your machine......they all mean something.......So if you go to ....  http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

or tell us how many beeps you hear and if they are long or short.....

perhaps we can help you get your machine running again.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

need_ur_help

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 09:19:08 PM »
    thanks, dl65! the beeps are about 5 secs long, the pause is around 3 secs long! ive went to that page but there are some computer terms i dont understand... will my files be affected?

merlin

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 01:12:52 PM »
    its maybe  that the graphic card is not seated right if you can do this the trouble being really you should call the pc shop and it should be done under warrenty for free..under english law you have twenty-eight days grace for them to sort it or replace it..not sure if this applies outside the uk...and also a years guarentee on it as well....you files are sitting on the hard drive my guess is that the will not be affected...unless you hard drive as had it?
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 01:14:31 PM by merlin »

folklore

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:44:46 AM »
    This could sometimes be a memory error as well. Certain computer makes have different beeps that means different things...

If you can perhaps provide the model of your computer and exactly the number of beeps, how long they are and the pauses inbetween, I can check in more detail what could be wrong.

Regards,

FolkLore