Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Drive stopped working  (Read 5897 times)

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
    External Drive stopped working
    « on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »
    I have a MacBook Pro, Leopard. I've bought and used Western Digital external hard drives, formatted for Mac and they've worked fine. They're all connected through firewire. The newest one I bought let me load files into it, but now it won't let me retrieve or load any more files to it. I make sure all other programs are not running, so I know it's not lack of power. I tried the unplugging and plugging routine, didn't work. There's about 400 gigs in the drive that I need - the drive is 1 terabite. Now when I turn on the computer with the drive attached it says this computer cannot read the drive. It asks me if I want to initialize, ignore or eject. I'm afraid of losing the videos I have on the drive if I initialize. What will the initialize command do? Thank you for your thoughts.
    A Slater

aslater

Topic Starter

Beginner

• A little knowledge is a dangerous thing-that's me!
      Re: External Drive stopped working
      « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
      Never mind, I took it to a place to recover the data. Yes, it's expensive, I'm disgusted with the whole thing. Now another drive stopped working, I'm on my way to buy another brand...
      ASlater

kand4cs

Starter

Re: External Drive stopped working
        « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:31 PM »
        I've switched to Seagates because I've had too many WD's go bad on me.