Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transfer Files Using DOS  (Read 9942 times)

Tushar Manik

Transfer Files Using DOS
« on: June 02, 2004, 09:09:58 AM »
Hi, Ia new here and though that maybe you'll could help. So here goes I have MS Windows ME installed on my C:\ Drive (4GB Master) and I have some other files on another drive D:\ (40GB Primary Slave). Now I want to clan install Windows XP. That is why I will format my c:\ drive using format c:\ through DOS using a Windows ME Satrtup Floppy Disk. Now after that I want to shift a folder from my D:\ drive called suppose new to my C:\ Drive in a folder called New. Now I will create a folder New usind MD c:\new when I boot from the floppy. But here comes the problem how do I shift all subfolder in the D:\New to the C:\New folder. I have many subfolder within the d:\new folder. Whenever I try using COPY D:\NEW\*.* C:\NEW only the files with extensions are copied ie no subfolders are copied. I cannot use the XCOPY command as it says bad command or file name and also smardrv also doesnt work as I think I'm loading from The Windows ME Startup Disk and these features are not available there. Hope someone could help me.  ??? ??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

Ronnietkh

Re: Transfer Files Using DOS
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 10:15:15 AM »
Tushar Manik

Once you have installed Win XP to your C:\ drive, go to the Dos prompt and key in the following:

C:\> xcopy /s d:\new\*.* c:\new

and 'enter'

Ronnie