Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows - A lot of stuff isn't working  (Read 3088 times)

cyrilia

Topic Starter

Windows - A lot of stuff isn't working
    « on: February 16, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
    Recently I found this thing called wins.exe under a Documents & Settings folder, so I Googled it. A lot of stuff came up saying that something like that shouldn't be there, so I tried deleting. The problem, however, was that it would come back. Not only that, but when I looked at the Date Modified, it was about the same time as when Norton says something like "A recent attack on your computer has been blocked" or whatever.

So, I downloaded and used this Malwarebytes thing a few times. I also removed a few unnecessary stuff (like HUGE 3-D MMORPG game folders) and YAY everything seems to be okay. (Oh, and the Malwarebytes thing said it found like forty-something things)

That was yesterday.

Just now I was helping my cousin with a report and I was going to print some pictures for her but then the Photo Printing Wizard wasn't working. Next, I try e-mailing it to her with the Windows Live Mail program on my PC... but when I tried that, it said something like a DLL was missing o,o

So, I tried using System Recovery, but all that showed up was a blank screen so I tried Googling THAT too. A lot of websites said to type these things into "Run":

regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

Mmk, the first two worked, but with the thrid one this weird thing comes up.

So, I went to another thing that talked about how to reinstall System Restore, so I tried it. BUT a few steps into it, another thing popped up saying that I needed some CD of Service Pack 2 or whatever.

Then, for whatever reason, when I tried searching for a file this thing in Windows Explorer pops up saying that something for Search Companion is missing...

*LINKS*
    Here's what happened with the Photo Printing Wizard:

Here's what happened with Windows Live Mail:
    First Click
    Second Click
    (But it was just working yesterday...)

What happened with search companion:
    Click

What system restore looks like

After that "regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll" thing

I don't have any screenshots of the wins.exe or Malwarebytes (I removed the program when I thought everything was "ok" ._. )

If more info is needed, just tell me.

EDIT
    Oh, and here's where I got info for System Restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

EDIT
    Oh, and I'm using XP with Service Pack 2
    « Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:19:43 PM by cyrilia »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced

cyrilia

Topic Starter

Re: Windows - A lot of stuff isn't working
      « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »
      Thanks for the links! =D
      I'll try all the steps listed in the first one before posting again.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows - A lot of stuff isn't working
      « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »
      Make sure to start new topic in malware section.
      Don't post logs here.