Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD+RW bit settings  (Read 2734 times)

hot dog

DVD+RW bit settings
« on: February 13, 2009, 08:10:06 PM »
Somehow after failed attempts to burn .AVI (movie) files to a Memorex DVD+RW disk, my computer is treating the disk as if it is a DVD-R disk. 

I've been using CDburnerXP to try to erase the disk and it keeps telling me that the disk is not erasable, telling me that the current disk format is "DVD-R". 

Is there a way to change the disk format back to the way it was? 

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DVD+RW bit settings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:40:56 PM »
C'mmon, get another disk...and stop banging your head.

hot dog

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
Believe it or not, I'm not interested in saving money, so I couldn't care less if I am able to use the disk again..

The reason I asked is because I AM interested in learning how to change the bit settings..  The more you know  in computers, the more independent you are, IN MY OPINION.

I understand that the format of the disk can be changed but I was never successful at doing it before and was hoping to get some pointers on it...

For starters, what is a good program to use...... ;D

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »
Learning is always good, but in this case, I think, the disk simply went haywire, and it's not good anymore. Not uncommon with optical media.

hot dog

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:37 PM »
heh, actually it was two disks that went haywire...I only mentioned one disk to keep it simple.........and a third disk is in question at the moment..

I believe the problem could actually lie in my drive..............It is suppose to be compatible with most optical media, but it fails to recognize certain brands of disks....For example: It will not recognize FUGI DVD+RWs, but it does recognize Memorex DVD+RWs.......Even the disks that it CAN recognize it has troube reading sometimes...Generally a "restart" is required at that point.

I flashed the firmware in it once a while back and the condition of the drive didn't change...I thought that maybe an updated version of the firmware would change/help the way the drive reads the disk..............but condition is still the same..

The time I spent troubleshooting that optical drive tought me a lot of stuff....I have no regrets about purchasing it, because of that........However, I ready to toss it out the door....I think I've squeazed enough lessons of out it...

Broni

Mastermind
    • Computer Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
You're correct. Some optical drives are picky.

hot dog

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 03:27:10 AM »
It seems that Windows 7 works better with my DVD Writer...

I was using Windows Vista when I could not get those DVD+RWs to work...

I just installed Windows 7 Beta, and CDBurner XP teats IS able to erase the disks...

It could be that there were corrupt files in Vista that were preventling the proper function, and that a general fresh installation helped the disks to work...

Nevertheless, the Drive seems to work better with Windows 7.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:13:32 AM »
Since Vista is first generation to DVD burning capabilities i would say yes this is a distinct possibility
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "