Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...  (Read 22082 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »
What I said about Wordpad using an XML Format:
Somewhat incorrect.

It still defaults as .rtf, however, it has the option of saving as OOXML Document.

As for the registry being efficient:
I think its fine for Windows, however, if a program just puts the ini file in its own directory under "Program Files", thats when I would be happy. Its horrible when they end up all over in system folder, and windows, and under other ini files.

My biggest problem with the registry is the sheer fact that if part of it is lost, it can render an even larger part useless, which makes it more susceptible to corruption.
Also, its loaded at startup, and on older slower computers, that can take a while.

Programs are not allowed to write to the "program files" directory or any subdirectory from Vista onwards. They can read from it, and writes will succeed after a UAC prompt.

if part of the registry is lost- the computer won't boot. there is NTUSER and NTSYSTEM (hkey_classes_root is really just an alias to somewhere in HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (can't recall exactly where) and HKEY_CURRENT_USER is simply an alias to a subkey of HKEY_USERS\ depending on the current user's SID.

I've partly solved this settings problem with my in-development settings library. I found it a major PITA myself to save and read from the registry, since I wanted some more user-configurable stuff.

So, it allows for XML,INI, and Registry, and they can be ordered in any way. IE: load a value via the library, and it will check the registry first, if the value doesn't exist, try loading XML, if that doesn't work, try INI, and only then go to default. Writing on the other hand would write to all locations.

Of course they can even be removed completely- meaning for example just using XML is an option as well.

And the only code change from all three would be during initialization...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »
What I said about Wordpad using an XML Format:
Somewhat incorrect.

It still defaults as .rtf, however, it has the option of saving as OOXML Document.

As for the registry being efficient:
I think its fine for Windows, however, if a program just puts the ini file in its own directory under "Program Files", thats when I would be happy. Its horrible when they end up all over in system folder, and windows, and under other ini files.

My biggest problem with the registry is the sheer fact that if part of it is lost, it can render an even larger part useless, which makes it more susceptible to corruption.
Also, its loaded at startup, and on older slower computers, that can take a while.

I was going to say about the XML in Wordpad...

anyway Yes I could see huge advantages to keeping separate .ini files.

Though big companies and school will not ;) particularly in places you aren't 'able' to install a program (there's a simple way around it if the program runs on 98/me) because if the registry is locked, big whoop, they can still install the program to their own folder, so they will have full rights, and use it with no issues, i.e the installer won't stop saying it cannot write to the registry.

but that's only one side of many.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
a well written installer will verify that the account it's running on has installation priviledges- MSI installers do this automatically.

The file system is just as controlled as the registry.

Additionally- only programs that store there data in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE should encounter errors during install of the nature described. In which case they should be storing data in HKEY_CURRENT_USER...

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »
Yeah...u just set the compatability to 98/me and 90% of the time it doesnt check

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 03:03:07 AM »
Yeah...u just set the compatability to 98/me and 90% of the time it doesnt check

And as a bonus if the application works on 98/ME with different libraries you get the libraries for 98/ME which don't work in newer windows versions! hooray!

Specified entry point not found....

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 03:16:22 AM »
never come across that problem ???

I want to cause it now

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:01 AM »
I want to cause it now

LOL

mostly with dev tools- like regmon and Filemon.

they work properly in all version of windows, but if you set the compat mode to 9x, it will try to install a vxd driver... not sure what happens then...

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 11:10:23 PM »
oh ok interesting  ;D

Anyway, anyone tried using the remote desktop features of W7?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
Heres something interesting:
It remembers settings for your speakers and headphones...

Eg: My headphones are at 50% volume, my speakers are at 80%.
Currently, there are no headphones plugged in. Its set to 80%. I plug them in, and, amazingly, it switches my volume to 50%, I unplug, back to 80%.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »
my X-Fi config does that, but only with the actual headphones plug on the rear of the machine.

Since I just plug it into my speaker system- it doesn't know the difference.

m_260

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
windows RC is going to be coming out soon. Microsoft is jumping from beta to RC directly as I heard. Is windows vista better than windows vista memory-wise? Probably still uses about same amount of memory but better allocation so your PC is more optimized?

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:15 AM »
Is windows vista better than windows vista memory-wise? Probably still uses about same amount of memory but better allocation so your PC is more optimized?

hehe im not so sure about visra, it mite use less than vista ???  ::)

Mine uses between 800-1100MB RAM, 800 at boot, 1100 with firefox, outlook, msn etc open

haven't tried the headphones thing :) will soon though

m_260

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2009, 03:24:23 AM »
headphones thing? Last time I tried my earbuds on a friend's laptop loaded with the win 7, it was working as intended.

And yeah you can turn off internet explorer so you never have to see it but I'd keep it on in case ie tab in firefox or something don't work, like when a activeX or something needs to be allowed.

but at least windows is still bundling all the good apps but giving you the easy path to turn off all the rarely used of said good apps.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2009, 03:26:25 AM »
True true. yes you can unpin IE from the taskbar and such, as well as WMP, evn though I don't know why I want to, the WMP in W7 Beta is great! it even plays my DivX movies without codecs...

I wonder what ill happen to those who beta tested it...

m_260

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
Without codecs? I bet it's that Microsoft finally decided to include codecs into WMP so that you don't have to go picking up one.

Unpin from taskbar, you can do that for internet explorer for any normal windows operating system. What I meant was you could go to features and disable it so that your PC will never use internet explorer and that there's no sign internet explorer exists unless you renable it.

Unpining from taskbar I think just removes the icon but PC can still access internet explorer, you can still find it and whatnot