Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...  (Read 22012 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition BETA...
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
You could install win32 for 3.11 though  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »
win32s is essentially useless.

Aside from a few trivial programs the only program that I got to run with it is the freecell program included in the setup; nothing useful- Office 95 would probably install, office 97 is iffy, and I wouldn't install either because that laptop has office 4.2 and it works fine... Oh and also the CD-ROM drive is broken.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2009, 12:18:34 AM »
I was merely stating it existed  ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2009, 05:45:19 AM »
I was merely stating it existed  ;)

ok.

Oh wait, one good feature is it actually allows 32-bit COM components to run on windows 3.1. The components inevitably weren't tested on win32S and likely crash very hard when trying to interface with the 16-bit version of Word's OLE, but hey, it's something  :P

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:01 AM »
I loved Windows 3.11, and I still do, and, believe me, if it could run MSN, FireFox, and my email client, I would still use it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
hmm... the farthest back you can go and still be able to run almost everything you need would be windows 95. But getting a lot of programs running on there takes a LOT of hacking; there was a site I saw somewhere where somebody described how to get all sorts of new applications running under windows 95- firefox, office 2003, etc. Google fails me though.

makes one wonder if one could tweak Firefox to run under win32s...

It's fun to go back to windows 3.1 on modern or semi-modern hardware, like a pentium 2. the moment I press enter on my other PC with windows 3.1, Program manager is started by the time the video mode changes- Less then half a second, that is.

One of the things I don't like about Windows 3.1 as a main OS is that the memory model is not exactly robust- while it runs in "protected mode" all windows processes can stomp on each other without regard, which makes debugging with MSVC a bit annoying since the program might perform runaway memory writes onto the debugger itself. Not a pleasant result, either.

Another annoying limitation is the IMO opinion stupid decision to allocate all GDI and User handles on the Heap- a limited 64K segment of memory is used for storing all GDI and user Handles. So of course, a leak of handles results in another set of less-then-pleasant symptoms.

Although not a problem with any amount of memory the developers could foresee, windows 3.1 was limited to a certain number of memory "selectors", or handles. with 8MB, 16MB, and 32MB of Ram, all of were prohibitively expensive at the time, this was way more then enough- but once you factor in today's even old computers with 128,256,512, and even GBs of RAM running windows 3.1 (although it only detects up to 512, I believe), you cannot even use up all the RAM, since aside from the selector's running out user and GDI resources usually go below 10% around 64MB of used RAM.

The neat part is, Windows NT 3.51 by all appearances looks like a "super enhanced" version of Windows 3.1!

And we get all the tools we are familiar with nowadays, perhaps with fewer features, such as Disk management. And imagine my surprise, since all versions of Windows NT appear to use the same Display dialog as that used in Windows 95- asmall image of monitor and the ability to dynamically change color and resolution combinations, whereas 3.1 required a reboot for either.

Quite an intriguing OS. even more intriguing is that a prerelease of NT4 was really a "option pack" for 3.51, but they decided to package it as a new OS because of the massive UI tweak. (After all, it's easier for a program to check the OS version itself to determine shell capabilities then digging through obscure OLE and COM dlls checking version numbers).

Unfortunately it also does away with the safety net of a DOS prompt for when windows crashes.. on the bright side we have blue screens!

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
Windows 3.11, when windows crashes, you would get a blue screen...

And a prompt that would say: "Press ENTER to close the application that has failed" and things would, in my case, almost always go back to normal.

One thing I really miss about earlier version of Windows (3.0 and before), was CTRL+ALT+DEL would just restart the computer... this could be very handy. I had an older laptop that FN+ALT+DEL would do an instant reset...

It's fun to go back to windows 3.1 on modern or semi-modern hardware, like a pentium 2. the moment I press enter on my other PC with windows 3.1, Program manager is started by the time the video mode changes- Less then half a second, that is.

Just wait until Vista is like that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2009, 08:47:06 PM »
Windows 3.11, when windows crashes, you would get a blue screen...

And a prompt that would say: "Press ENTER to close the application that has failed" and things would, in my case, almost always go back to normal.

windows 3.1 would blue screen when you press control+alt+delete, and offer to terminate the foreground application. I wouldn't call the windows 3.1 blue screen a BSOD, since it was (ideally) always user invoked via Control Alt del. the few times I've had it crash hard was because of some EMM386 protection error; but it wasn't on a blue screen.

I never did get the Control+Alt+Delete force terminate to work properly. Usually ended up freezing my computer.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »
For us, what would happen, we had this weird program that would play Chrismas music through the speakers, and it had some Chrismas games on it, it was pretty fun. Anyways, it would crash, a lot, and Windows 3.11 would bluescreen on its own.. pressing enter for close the application almost always worked.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2009, 11:23:42 PM »
oh yeah! a UAE!