Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Severly depressed download & upload speeds  (Read 6334 times)

02bin3

Severly depressed download & upload speeds
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
I have Hughesnet satellite, their least expensive version, which is supposed to give me 1.0 Mbps download and 128 Kbps upload.  I have never in the 6 months that I've had it gotten anywhere near 1.0 Mbps download speed.  It usually runs between 78kbps to 128kbps.  But, it was still faster than the 25 to 46 kbps that I previously got with a phone modem.  I could live with it. BUT, recently, it was fallen to as low as 5.46kbps.  Took me nearly 5 minutes to download 3.57 MB today and kept refusing to upload the same email file when I wanted to send it out.  I tested the speed on Speedtest.net and their results were:  Download:  1037kbps and Upload:  230 kbps.  I checked the System Status on Hughesnet and the Signal Strength was just fine and there isn't a cloud in the sky.  I have a 233 GB hard drive of which 206 GB is Free Space and 2 GB of Memory.  My email is through AOL's free email service.  Can anyone give me any ideas on what could be the problem with the download and upload speeds.  I really dislike calling Hughesnet because their Help Desk is routed to India and as sharp as their troubleshooters are there, I can't understand hardly a word they say.

Old Fart

Rookie

Re: Severly depressed download & upload speeds
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
    The download speeds you quoted from speedtest.net look about right for a 1mb connection ...... what are you judging your downloads with .... i.e. where are you downloading from ?, as it's often the case with host servers that their speeds are poor and not yours.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
      he's probably getting that number from the Download screen on his Navigator...

if thats were your getting that 5.46Kbps, then its probably that the server from where your downloading is slow, not you.
      If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

02bin3

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »
      First, thanks for your replies, Old Fart and MacDad.  I am getting the information for my download speeds from the little window that pops up when I start downloading a .pps or .wmv file attachment from an email.  I don't download movies or music files.  I have noticed that when I am typing an email that the finished product is full of run together words and missed letters because it doesn't seem to be keeping up with my typing and I am not a fast typist.  45wpm and 60wpm on a good day.  As I type this, I am not having that sort of problem.  AOL is my mail server.  Do you think that AOL is the problem?  It is their free email program if that makes a difference.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
        AOL is going down the toliet anyways which means slower servers from small inflow of subscribers.....how about Gmail?
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.