Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VPN disables wireless  (Read 4391 times)

blukeroth

VPN disables wireless
« on: April 27, 2005, 07:06:24 PM »
My company had me install Fiberlink VPN. It worked fine as long as I was running Windows XP, but then the company re-imaged all the computers with Windows 2000 to cure a software problem. After that, two things happened. The first was that the wireless card built in to the Dell C560 became permanently disabled. I talked to every support desk I could think of, downloaded patches, etc., but nothing worked. To get back onto wireless I had to buy a Netgear USB transceiver. Now I can get onto wireless, BUT, the Fiberlink VPN software will not recognize my (or anyone else's) wireless router. I talked to the folks at Fiberlink and they told me 1) they don't support end users, and 2) there is a known issue with Fiberlink sometimes disabling Windows 2000's ability to manage wireless networks. There is a cure, but they don't know what it is. And yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Fiberlink (3 times, 2 different ways). Does anyone know how to restore Windows 2000's ability to manage wireless networks?
Thanks

pcdoc4christ

Re: VPN disables wireless
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:35:21 PM »
Bluke:

Have you discussed the issue with your company's IT administrator?  Perhaps someone else has had the same problem and they've found a fix.

blukeroth

Re: VPN disables wireless
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 06:05:25 PM »
I have discussed it with our IT people several times. Their position is "we don't support wireless connections" - this despite the fact that they spec'ed the computer with a built-in wireless card.