Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help, Video Quality Problem  (Read 17233 times)

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Please help, Video Quality Problem
    « Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »
    No. VLC is still blurry.  :'(

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 05:59:02 AM »
    Strange.....

When you Right Click the Desktop, do you get any option to go to Graphics Properties?

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 06:04:33 AM »
      The control panel for the graphics card, yes.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 06:16:22 AM »
      For me, when I click on Graphics Properties, A new window comes up that allows me to change my Graphics Settings.
      There is a button called Video Overlay where I can change how Videos are presented.

Anything like that for you?

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 06:20:33 AM »
        No, for me my only option is "NVIDIA Control Panel", which is my graphics card.

I don't see anything about video overlay. I have the option to adjust image settings, change resolution, adjust video image settings, etc. Which I have adjusted back and forth trying to see if it made a difference, it did not.

I do have Windows Vista with the new computer, which I am not familiar with. Would this "graphics properties" be located somewhere different than Windows XP?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 06:35:03 AM »
        Most likely in Control Panel somewhere.

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 06:37:38 AM »
          I can't find it. I found it on the computer I am currently on, which still has XP - but not the one that has the problem.

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 06:42:07 AM »
          If the monitor being used is an LCD monitor, the display settings need to be set so that the display (desktop) area is at the native resolution of the monitor. That is, if the monitor has - for example - a 1280 x 1024 pixel panel, then the display needs to be set to 1280 x 1024. They need to match. So that 1 pixel on the screen equals 1 pixel on the computer's display. If this is not the case, then the display will look distinctly peculiar because the monitor will be trying to map (say) 1280 pixels into 1024 or vice versa and it won't divide exactly. Videos and still images will look rather odd, (How do photos look?) especially to people who are used to assessing image quality. In text display, fonts will look awful too. So I would be very interested to check display settings. If this has been done,  I would be getting suspicious of the monitor. But you say that other people's monitors show the blurriness also. You say that store bought DVDs look blurry. If they look blurry on other people's monitors, I would suspect an outbreak of infectious myopia or hysterical blindness perhaps?

As for display properties, Vista changed a lot of things from XP making the new Vista user quite in the dark when it comes to finding features and options that he/she has gotten used to in older Windows versions. One such feature is the Display Properties. If you right-click on your desktop wallpaper, you might confused where that old Display Properties went.

For Vista, you get the “Personalize” option in the context menu. This replaces the Display Properties of old and has these options:

* Window Color and Appearance - Change the color of windows. Has a nice collection of color sets to choose from. Even has a color intensity slider.

* Desktop Background - Default wallpapers can be boring so customize your look with this.

* Screen Saver - Pretty much self-explanatory. I’m not a big fan of screen savers so the default works nicely for me.

* Sounds - Previously hidden with Control Panel, now you can easily change the way emptying the Recycle Bin sounds through this option. Still pretty much the same, though except for its availability in the Personalize window.

* Mouse Pointers - If you want to change your how your mouse pointer looks, this is your menu. Again, I’ve a default fan.

* Themes - Lets you switch between Windows Vista Basic, Standard (Aero), and Classic. So if you miss the old Windows 98 look, fire up Windows Classic by all means.

* Display Settings - The same old display settings that lets you tweak the resolution, DPI and monitor/desktop layout.

I can't find it. I found it on the computer I am currently on, which still has XP - but not the one that has the problem.

So the XP one doesn't have the problem?

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 06:57:23 AM »
            Hysterical blindness it is!

It's a plasma monitor. I have set the display settings on the monitor to the factory setting of 1680 x 1050. The monitor settings were not set the same, I just changed them - but there was no change. Good try though, I hadn't done that yet.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to hook it up to another monitor, but yes - it was blurry at the repair location as well, on their monitors using their hookups.

Windows Vista isn't easy to learn, and quite different. I went into the "Personalize" option, but still did not find the "Overlay" option.

Photos appear clear, it's only moving images that appear jagged and blurry.

The XP computer does also have the problem, although I don't use it for video projects.

Both computers are connected to the same monitor using a splitter. I have tried going straight from the computer (the new one) to the monitor, but it made no difference. The only other thing they are both connected to is the power strip, which I highly doubt would be causing this problem.

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »
              Replaced wires, checked monitor. Still blurry.  :'(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
              what is the resolution of the video you are trying to play?
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 10:49:23 PM »
                Resolution: 720 x 480, I believe. It's a sample video from Pinnacle.

I also tried a demo of Adobe Premiere, and it was also blurry. So I highly doubt this could be a software problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 10:51:21 PM »
                Bilinear interpolation of the video might be making it appear blurry on your higher resolution monitor.

Is it possible to get a screenshot?
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
                  You want a screenshot of the video? Sure.

VideoGirl

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
                    This is from the sample video. Notice that the image is blurry, as well as the edges are jagged. It's even more noticable when the video is playing.