Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drives for donated Compaqs  (Read 17388 times)

Zo

Hard Drives for donated Compaqs
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:07:18 PM »
Our school has some Compaqs donated by a law center.  They took out the hard drives and we cannot get the computers to recognize new hard drives 40GB, 166.  Tried to find specs on the compaq site, all I can find is 2.0GB hard drives listed for these DeskPro 2000 computers.  Do you know if they can handle any larger hard drives?  Are they worth adding a hard drive or should they be scrapped?    

merlin

Re: Hard Drives for donated Compaqs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:20:15 PM »
hp say yes there are fixes for it to handle 30gig>read more>http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/deskpro/us/download/9260.html

Zo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 05:29:31 AM »
 :)Thanks, Merlin.  I've been looking for an answer for 4 months!  I've downloaded the fix for a CD to use on the computers.

Zo

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:13:21 PM »
Can't get the computer to load the CD with drivers.  In trying to fdisk there are no partitions to delete, yet it will not create partitions...no room.  It will not format...format not supported.  It will not load Windows. Any other suggestions?

Zo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 08:37:19 PM »
I have since loaded the diagnostic download on a floppy in the exe mode...and downloaded the fix for older models yet still have the startup disk error.  

Zo

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 08:00:06 PM »
The computer is up and running!  :) After updating the bios, I had to clear the CMOS then update the CMOS and then load the operating system.
Thanks for your input!!