Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing operating systems  (Read 6748 times)

Contiel

Changing operating systems
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:20:14 PM »
I need to know what I have to do to uninstall windows 98 on a old HP and install windows 95? It is having problems and I will need a disc but is is such a old computer that it has such little memory and I do not use it to get online. I thought it would be best to load windows 95. Also I have a old laptop that has win.95 and could share files.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Changing operating systems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »
Contiel:

Windows 95 had many bugs that were fixed in Windows 98.  Windows 98 also had many improvements over the previous operating system (OS).  Windows 98 SE had even more improvements (for example, the ability to share an Internet connection with another computer using Windows 98 SE or better).  If your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 98, i'd suggest reformatting your hard drive and doing a clean install of that OS, rather than going back to Windows 95.

Here are the minimum system requirements that Microsoft recommends for Windows 95:

* 486 or better processor
* 8 MB of RAM
* 50 or more MB of hard drive space
* 3.5-inch floppy drive
* 256-color SVGA monitor

Compare this to the minimum requirements Microsoft recommends for Windows 98:

* 66 MHz 486 DX or better processor
* 24 MB of RAM
* 195 - 350 MB of hard drive space
* 3.5-inch floppy drive
* 16- to 24-bit SVGA monitor
* CD-ROM drive

If your system meets these minimum recommended system requirements, Windows 98 is a much better choice.  Doing a clean install might help remove any problems that have been caused by installing programs or by computer viruses.

Contiel

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 07:10:54 PM »
Thank you for your quick responce.  I went out to check the information.  It is a 75 Mhz. Pentium (TM) 32 MB Ram, 759 MB memory,  93,978,624 free.  It is running in MS-DOS compatibility mode.  It also has a cd rom.  I do not have a Windows disc.  I bid on ebay for a windows 95 and so far I am high bid @ .97 cents.  But I put in to bid as high as $10.00.  I am not sure if that is the right decision now.  I don't use the computer to do much other that keep records, using spreadsheet and word processor.  I am just trying to clean it up some so I have more memory to maby install a couple of games.  My son might have done something to it to get it into ms-dos mode trying to install the sims.  He finally gave up.
PS I really like your sign on name.  I clown for Jesus I really injoy it.  I can do it much better than I can compute.  Thanks Contiel

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 05:50:07 PM »
...It is a 75 Mhz. Pentium (TM) 32 MB Ram, 759 MB memory,  93,978,624 free.  It is running in MS-DOS compatibility mode.  It also has a cd rom.  I do not have a Windows disc.  I bid on ebay for a windows 95 and so far I am high bid @ .97 cents.  But I put in to bid as high as $10.00.  I am not sure if that is the right decision now... .

Sounds like Windows 98 SE is your best option.  Don't worry if you have already purchased Windows 95.  You can still purchase the Windows 98 SE upgrade CD (which will be less than the Windows 98 SE full installation CD).  Then, all you need to do is format the hard drive with a boot disk, install Windows 95, and then install Windows 98 SE.  I would not recommend Windows ME or 2000 or XP with your system.

If you have a computer repair store in your area, try calling to see if they have RAM that will work with your computer.  There are different types of RAM, so you will have to get the correct type.  You will also have to purchase them in pairs (you probably have room for two pairs, that is there are probably four banks).  I'm not sure what RAM you have, but you may be able to get  SIMMs up to 64 MB each (or a maximum of 128 MB, which might work best for playing games or working with higher-end graphics).  The memory you have should work just fine for DOS games and word processing.  If you need some 64 MB SIMMs, i have four i may mail to you.  Just drop me an email with your address.

When you indicate 759, i'm assuming that is the size of the hard drive.  A computer repair shop may sell you one at least four times as large (around 4 GB) for a nominal cost.  I have a half a dozen 4 GB hard drives in my workshop if you want me to mail one to you (and you don't mind paying the shipping cost).  However, it may be cheaper just to purchase one used in your area.  For that matter, you may be able to get a used Pentium II or III system with a 10 GB hard drive for under $100.00.  Many repair shops have them available because businesses are upgrading to Windows XP, which is not compatible with some older hardware.  So, shop around!

PS I really like your sign on name.  I clown for Jesus I really injoy it.  I can do it much better than I can compute.  Thanks Contiel

Cool!  My wife can do wonders with balloons.  She's a hit at kids' parties with all the inflated animals, hats and swords she makes.  She's thinking of clown school.  Any good clown Web sites you'd recommend?

Blessings to you!
Doc

"...This day is sacred to the Lord.  Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." --Nehemiah 8:10

:)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:53:55 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Contiel

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 06:17:56 PM »
 She's thinking of clown school.  Any good clown Web sites you'd recommend?

I went to the school held in Huston this year she can get on Yahoo groups and search clowning for Christ and several will pop up.  ClownMinistry is the main one I go to.  They will know of all the schools and dates.  Tell her good luck, and God Bless it takes being a real character and having not worrying about getting embarrassed to clown.  But it is worth it.

About the computer.  I am really not worried about loading sims.  I have put too much money into this computer already.  I have a main computer in the house that I use for everything else.  My exbrother in law used to do all my fixing up on it in the past now he is ex. and not around.  I don't want to have to do anymore than I have to just to fix the dos problem it has and just get it up without any problems.  I use it very little and just cannot see spending any more on it.  On top of that I don't have the money to do any extra right now.  That is why I was going to just install win.95.  

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 06:32:34 AM »
Contiel:

OK.  Thanks for the info.!  My wife went to high school in Garland, TX (small world).

Windows 95 should work just fine.  There was a year 2000 update that was offered free by Microsoft for the operating system.  I have it on CD if you want me to burn a copy for you and mail it from Indiana.  Just PM me or click on my e-mail icon to the left of this post.

Sorry, but i gave some misinformation in the above post.  The   Single Inline Memory Modules (SIMMs) i have are either 8 MB or 16 MB.  Two banks (or pairs) of the 16 MB ones would total 64 MB, of course, which would double the RAM in your system.  I'm thinking you have four 8 MB SIMMs installed.  Some systems (perhaps yours is one) have room for three banks.  

If you are curious, here is a pictorial guide to installing SIMMs (and the newer DIMMs):

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/memory1.html

If you change your mind and find someone who will install them for you, let me know; i'll mail them at no cost to you.  

In addition, if you decide to add more RAM yourself, the trick is to put them in at a 45-degree angle to the motherboard and then tip them to a 90-degree angle till they snap into place.  It's also important to protect the SIMMs from static electricity by touching a metal part of your computer case before handling them and by touching them only on the outer edges.  The computer should be turned off (and even unplugged) before removing or adding more of the memory modules.

Blessings,
Christopher
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 06:33:18 AM by pcdoc4christ »