Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ME Problems  (Read 12186 times)

detel

Re: ME Problems
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 07:37:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. Will I be able to download it with my PC and then reload it into my wife's infected PC? If so, will I have to use a floppy or put in on a disc? I am so backwoods when it comes to computors :-[

detel

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 08:41:03 AM »
I need to clarify what I was asking. Will I be able to download the programs you recommended onto my PC and then upload them into my wife's PC? Thanks Again!

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 05:04:15 PM »
I need to clarify what I was asking. Will I be able to download the programs you recommended onto my PC and then upload them into my wife's PC? Thanks Again!

Detel,

Please clarify:

* Are both computers connected to the Internet, or just one?

* Are the two computers connected to each other (via a direct-cable connection or a hub or a router) and do they share an Internet connection?

* Are both computers infected with the virus(es)/worm(s)?

* Do both have an anti-virus program?

* Do both have a floppy drive and/or a CD-RW or drive with CD burning software?

To answer your question: The Stinger will fit on a floppy disk.  You may download it using a computer with an Internet connection (choose the option to Save, not to Open, the the file when you download it, then put a new floppy disk in the drive and select drive A: as the location to save the file).

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:05:07 PM by pcdoc4christ »

detel

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 06:33:29 PM »
I have only one pc connected to the internet and that is mine. The pc that is infected will not connect to the internet. They have never been connected to one another. My pc is not infected and is protected with an antivirus program and is up to date. My wife's was protected but I don't believe that it had been update for a year or so. Both of our pc's have floopy and CD-RW. Thanks Doc!

detel

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 05:17:58 AM »
OK, I have downloaded from MY pc avert on a floopy and ran it on my wifes pc. Then I did the same with NOADWARE v3.0 and it found 41 items on my wife's pc. Some of them are: HuntBar HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\mRegKey
Bubba wintools olHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{877RegKey
IBIS Toolbar C:\Program Files\toolbar.
Here's the problem now. In order to remove the items I have to register on the website which of course I can't because of the virius, I think. Anyway's, I can't get my wifes pc to connect to the internet in order to register with the NOADAWARE so it with Remove the 41 items infecting her pc. I will hunt online to see if I can find another program that will remove them without having to register but in the meantime, any other ideas???

detel

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »
GREAT GOD in heaven I got it working eough to get into programs now. Wow! Thanks everyone!

Michael

gussery

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
Amen

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 07:13:49 PM »
U can say that again!

:D

Detel:

Keep in mind that, since your wife's PC is not connected to the Internet, the viruses must have been transmitted either via CD or floppy disk.   I'd recommend throwing *every* floppy disk that has been used in the trash (they only cost about 50 cents each).  This way, the viruses will not be retransmitted to her computer.  

I'd also advise against installing any software you have downloaded from the Internet and burned to CD.  Sometimes an innocent freeware program may contain a hidden virus or Trojan Horse.  Try to install only well known and respected programs.

Let Flame, Gussery, or i know if you need further assistance.

Blessings to you,
Doc  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 07:21:19 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Mac

LL Re: ME Problems
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 03:30:44 AM »
Which Anti-Virus Program are you using? I would just download the latest AVG Free Home edition to another computer and burn it to a CD-RW and add SpyBot SD and Spyware Blaster. Then install it on your own machine and run it. It will usually have the latest definitions.

You might need to uninstall your own AV program in safe mode.

You should also add Delindex.bat to your ME bootdiskette and run: A:\>delindex run , and press Enter, to clean out the junk files.

Then A:\>DELTREE C:\_RESTORE , and press Enter, to clean out ALL of the infected _RESTORE folder files, answering Yes to deleting the sub-folders.

I would do a compatability test before installing XP. XP needs to be clean-installed. Upgrading ME is rarely successful.

If you do decide to format and install XP do ALL of the partitioning and formatting from the XP CD and don't use fdisk.

XP Clean Installing
XP Compatability Test
XP Partition Management
XP Installing Recovery Console

RAM Knowledge Base
RAM And What it Does
RAM Virtual Memory Paging
RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
Service Pack Slipstreamer
Power Supply Wattage Calculator
Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

Mac

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 03:34:15 AM »
Hmm, I see you've been busy. Holy water and an exorcism work wonders on occassion.