Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading CPU and Video Card questions  (Read 2993 times)

rorinater5

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Upgrading CPU and Video Card questions
    « on: August 07, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
    Hello, I currently have a Intel Celeron 450 cpu running @3.30GHz single core and my PC uses a G41 Chipset.

This is my pc-  http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-537s/pd

All parts I have in the PC are the stock dell parts that came with the PC. I would like to upgrade my video card to a 8600GT because I will be receiving one for free. I would also like to upgrade my CPU to a Intel Pentium E5800 Processor. I would like to know if upgrading to these would be possible. I am aware that my motherboard is Socket LGA775 and the processor I want will fit into it.
    Also if there are any better or cheaper options for the processor I would gladly love to research the ones you recommend. Thanks for reading.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading CPU and Video Card questions
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
    The card probably won't fit in your low profile case.  CPU's are generally not upgradeable in branded computers, i.e. Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. The BIOS is "locked" to the cpu and is not configurable.  Cheaper to buy a new computer.

rorinater5

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
      Well I know there was a BIOS upgrade from A02 to A03 at some point that I did, I'm not sure if that means its not locked or whatever.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 09:20:55 AM »
      It should be upgradable, because both are socket 775 CPUs.
      The BIOS is "locked" to the cpu and is not configurable.
      ??? That is the first time I have heard of such an OEM restriction...

I doubt the 8600GT would fit in there.. something like the GT 220 or the GTS 450 might fit, though...
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
      It should be upgradable, because both are socket 775 CPUs. ??? That is the first time I have heard of such an OEM restriction...
      The motherboard & BIOS are made to the OEM's specifications.  To go from a single core to a dual-core CPU, even if both are Socket775, would probably not work.  One could try it, but it's not worth the cost & risk to the hardware.