Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Latest Conficker worm gets nastier  (Read 10508 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Latest Conficker worm gets nastier
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »

The authors of the latest variant of the Conficker worm are upping the ante against security vendors who are working to stop the spread and threat of the persistent program.

Conficker.C shuts down security services, blocks computers from connecting to security Web sites, and downloads a Trojan. It also is programmed to begin connecting to 50,000 different domains on April 1 to receive updated copies or other malware, as opposed to connecting to 250 domains a day as previous versions are doing, Ben Greenbaum, senior research manager for Symantec Security Response, said on Friday.

The authors of the code are "strengthening their hold on their collection of infected machines at the same time they are attempting to strengthen their ability to control those machines by moving to 50,000 domains," he said.

Link
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Latest Conficker worm gets nastier
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:45:08 AM »
     :o all considering this could be bad for us all.  Not so much me but the rest of us.

Notice: All New Novice Members Do All Updates For Windows and Virus protection software.  Also, have a maleware scanner is recommened like spybot or AVG has one built in but will conflict with other virus scanning programs. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

paudashlake

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »
      Conficker countdown::::::

According to my timezone, conficker is set to launch and DESTROY in 46 minutes!!!!
      Hinkle Finkle Dinkle Doo.  AMEN!! 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »
      *yawn*.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »
         :o That is scary, like to also note that it is going to be a trojan possibly.  So has it gone off then?  Also, what is the captin and chief and commodore thing really about?
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

fakewaterwalker

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:33:52 AM »
          Not saying i would, but i wish i could write a program like that.... Hmmm, *updating windows, running scans. :)

Note: you should tell em that if they are at most risk, if they run Windows.
          Are you infected yet? It happens to everyone,don't hide.
          Time is running out.  :,(

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
            why unless you tell linux what to look for it will just go to your windows machine if your useing it as a gateway to get online.  Unless your useing it solely that is if you can use it then your risk is lower.  Dont start that crap.  Be like you should tell them it mite be like y2k which I'm not saing is true or not. 

fakewaterwalker

Rookie
              « Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
              well, im not saying if you don'r run windows 'be careless'
              im simply saying windows users are at greatest risk..
              I hope everyone is sure to use caution.
              -- and really people who write these programs, should be ashamed of themselves... really now study programming and do this?. well you be the judge of that.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »
                there not todally to blame, the fact of what there doing with it is.  :-\ :'(

fakewaterwalker

Rookie
                  « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
                  well my friend just explaind something to me.

If there wernt people out there making Malware, viruses, and worms... wouldn't it be bad for some people.
                  I may get chastised for this but ill say it.

if there were no people making ill willed programs, people who run companies for computer safety, like element 5 (AVG), would go out of buisiness, or would have never started... those people who work there would be possibly jobless, hurting thier respective countries economy.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »
                    Then what???? 

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »
                      Your all ways going to have just that one person.  I ment that these guys could have been better as preventers rather then infectors.  Your ordeal of thoughts is too narrow look at it from other presectives

fakewaterwalker

Rookie
                        « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
                        unfortunately, i believe your correct.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
                          you got that right  ;)

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                          • Experience: Familiar
                          « Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
                          The authors of the latest variant of the Conficker worm are upping the ante against security vendors who are working to stop the spread and threat of the persistent program.

Conficker.C shuts down security services, blocks computers from connecting to security Web sites, and downloads a Trojan. It also is programmed to begin connecting to 50,000 different domains on April 1 to receive updated copies or other malware, as opposed to connecting to 250 domains a day as previous versions are doing, Ben Greenbaum, senior research manager for Symantec Security Response, said on Friday.

The authors of the code are "strengthening their hold on their collection of infected machines at the same time they are attempting to strengthen their ability to control those machines by moving to 50,000 domains," he said.

Link
                          1. Link broken

2. If the programmers become white-hats, then the world will be much securer (I guess...)
                          Where's MagicSpeed?
                          Quote from: 'matt'
                          He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.