Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Beep Codes  (Read 3677 times)

Sean

Beep Codes
« on: May 02, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »
Are beep codes different for laptops? If not I have a power issue with a laptop. Any suggestions. Its running win2000. It turns on for a while then 5 beeps and turns off.

Doomsday_J

Re: Beep Codes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 07:01:20 PM »

Sean

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
I dont think the processor failed, because the computer boots and loads, but it will power down within 10 mins. of being on.  Also, aren't beep codes only for the BIOS because these will happen when the computer is booting but then it will boot the rest of the way and load everything and then it will give 5 short beeps (I assume short, theyre all the same length and pretty quick) and then it will pause for a few seconds and then 5 more beeps and the screen will almost fade to complete black.

Sean

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 08:55:42 PM »
Please dont suggest anything "major," I'll leave it up to you to interprett that, its not my computer, and it's gov't issued, so as little tinckering as possible would be ideal.

Sean

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »
Put a new battery in, and it won't load at all now. Ideas?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:58:57 PM »
5 beeps - processor failure.
Processor is overheating, computer shuts down to avoid catostrophic failure.  CPU fan may have died.  What is make and model of laptop?