Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer boots up but then goes black  (Read 4714 times)

sjeanine

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer boots up but then goes black
    « on: March 21, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
    I have an older computer which I wrote about on another topic here somewhere earlier...asking about ram.  Anyway, it boots up and you can see the Windows XP screen but then goes black and you only see the cursor, nothing else.  Any ideas???  I've turned it off and on many times and this keeps happening.  Thanks.

SJeanine

sahil

Greenhorn

Re: Computer boots up but then goes black
      « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
      Just press Ctrl+Alt+del key after login & go to new task & then type explorer

it will open up & then check your user profile size delete temp files run disk cleanup

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 08:48:49 AM »
      Just press Ctrl+Alt+del key after login & go to new task & then type explorer

it will open up & then check your user profile size delete temp files run disk cleanup

Please understand that they can't log in since they can't boot to windows.
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »
      I have an older computer which I wrote about on another topic here somewhere earlier...asking about ram.  Anyway, it boots up and you can see the Windows XP screen but then goes black and you only see the cursor, nothing else.  Any ideas???  I've turned it off and on many times and this keeps happening.  Thanks.

SJeanine

Hello,

Please try to enter safe mode and see if you can complete a log in to windows.

If you need help with safe mode try this link

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

mr tee

Beginner
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
        hi there  do you have another monitor handy at all if not go to the top of the forum page and type in black screen in the search box and this will give you a few options to fix the problem no doubt

sjeanine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »
          Ok, tried all of the above and nothing helped.  I will try doing a search on black screens now.  If anything works, I'll post here and let you know.  I can get into safe mode but when I click on that or anything else there, it acts like it's going to go there but then my screen just goes black again...except for showing a cursor.  {{{{sigh}}}}  Thanks for the suggestions though. 

mr tee

Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »
            hi there sjeanine you are not alone now my computer has the same problem unbelievable   :'(  this has happened two days ago windows 2002 home edition sp 3 do you have same i will post a new thread maybe somthing you can look at as well for useful info maybe! ram stick and new graphics card has not helped me out !
            « Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:31:14 AM by mr tee »

sjeanine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
              not sure what's in it now but it shows the Windows Log on screen while it's loading but then when it should pull up the icons window, everything just goes black but I still have a cursor.  When I go to safe mode, no matter what I click on, the screen just will go black and nothing happens so not sure what's going on.  You think it could be that new virus they have been saying would be hitting around April Fools day?  It did say some computers were already getting hit and this just started a few weeks ago....

mr tee

Beginner
                « Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
                You think it could be that new virus      i think there would be a lot more posts if the virus is responsible !!