Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Viruses and Spyware  (Read 8490 times)

mary718

Viruses and Spyware
« on: May 28, 2004, 09:23:46 AM »
I think I have a virus problem.  A week ago, when I booted up,  I started getting a "Kernel" message, the desktop  appears to be in the Safe Mode and my mouse does not function.  A friend suggested adaware.  My son seems to have downloaded adaware using only the keyboard but we cannot navigate within the adaware (without our mouse). What can we do?  Does this sound like a virus?  We have Norton Anti-Virus running.
Thanks!  

merlin

Re: Viruses and Spyware
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 10:50:29 AM »
the kernel is part of win 32 system and the term kernel come from nut or shell  have you re-starting this pc in msdos prompt?just guessing that this is win98? is this message ...xyz has caused an error in kernel32 xyz...and you are right in saying a trojan/worm/virus has caused this nav sometimes may miss them?try a trojan hunter killer..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 10:52:11 AM by merlin »

mary718

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 07:27:30 AM »
Thank you, Merlin-
   We have not tried starting in msdos, but we will.  WindowsME is our operating system.  Can trojan hunter killers be downloaded or is this software one needs to buy?  It's wonderful to have some guidance.  We'll get on it.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 01:03:32 PM »
options *re-install winme dont panic...here is how search for the c:\windows\options\cab folder next to the scanreg icon is the setup icon if you click this with the winme install disk in the cdrom drive it will re-install winme.. without losing any files or try this in the start menu programs\ accessories\ MSDOS prompt.......type scanreg\restore after<C:\WINDOWS> so the command looks like this C:\WINDOWS SCANREG\RESTORE and chose the last good cab file and answer yes to all and windows will do the rest*..then download this progam>http://www.webroot.com/wb/products/spysweeper/index.php?rc=940 and have you got ie6 on your pc? *this should restore you mouse problem etc..*
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 01:05:29 PM by merlin »