Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD issues while running FDISK  (Read 9734 times)

Computer_Commando

Re: HD issues while running FDISK
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 07:01:59 PM »
The primary advantage to NTFS is in the corporate environment.  Administrators can control who has access to network drives, directories, and even files.  If your computer is for home use and you are the only user, there is no noticeable difference between FAT32 and NTFS.  If you have more than one user and you want to control who has access to your data, then use NTFS.  This is what is meant by "Built-In Security".
This table summarizes the differences:  http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

I still use FAT32 because I want the Win98 partition to be able access other partitions.  I also, still use DOS, which is not able to read NTFS without help from 3rd party software.

Mac

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »
Ok I have 2 other computers in my home;
800 MHz pent III with a 40GB HDD 384 MBRam Fat32 System
750 MHz AMD      with a 30GB HDD 320 MBRam Fat32 System

Would it be a pain to switch these to NTFS without reformatting the HDD's?

There have been problems converting from FAT32 to NTFS with Windows 2000 and I have had one instance of not getting 4096 bytes per allocation unit (4k) clusters when converting using XP.

If you get 512 bytes per allocation unit clusters it can slow the computer down. Many say that it is better, performance-wise, not to convert, but to format directly to NTFS.

However this is up to you. If you have Partition Magic you can adjust the cluster size if the conversion goes wrong.

I take the precautions of disconnecting from the internet and removing the anti-virus program before doing any work on partitons, as a running AV can make a mess of things.

Always better to back up ALL data before converting.

Mac

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 12:21:31 AM »
If your computer is for home use and you are the only user, there is no noticeable difference between FAT32 and NTFS.

I have to disagree with you there CC, this computer, which was running on FAT32, is running MUCH better on NTFS, especially on partitions over 32 Gb.