Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: waiting for network  (Read 4222 times)

Zook024

Topic Starter

Starter

waiting for network
    « on: March 25, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
    Okay here is the situation. I currently have my Dell PC wired to my Linksys WRT54G router, along with a newer Dell laptop, an iPod Touch, and a Playstation 3 connecting wirelessly to it. The problem I am having is getting this old Compaq Armada E500 to successfully connect. I purchased an HP 11-Mbps wireless LAN PC card off Ebay and unfortunately neither the seller nor HP themselves have the drivers specifically designed for the card. Nevertheless HP recommended drivers for the Compaq version of the same card and according to the laptop the card is working properly.
    Now the problem is that while my network shows up in the list of avaible networks when I click it to connect I enter the correct password and it waits, and waits, and waits for the network, eventually giving up. And so here is the problem. It simply waits for the network and can't make the connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Information:
    operating system on laptop: windows xp professional
    router model: Linksys WRT54G
    current firmware version: 8.00.5
    network card: HP 11-Mbps wireless LAN PC card
    using ORiNOCO Client Manager (could not display available networks without it)
    already tried disabling the security
    running on service pack 3

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: waiting for network
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 03:26:34 PM »
    Here is a long list of possible solutions.

http://tinyurl.com/Windows-XP-wireless-password
    (The link may be slow to load.)

If you find something that identifies the problem, please come back. I have an old Compaq laptop with the same issue, but a different router. There are over 50 articles that might have the solution. There is, somewhere, a fix in XP for this problem. I can't remember where I saw it.

Zook024

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
      no luck, nothing in there matching my problem from what I could see.

darhblader

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:20:40 PM »
        is it just your computer that doesnt connect or is it everything?

Zook024

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
          It's just the old compaq

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »
          If you disable the WEB security and run the thing 'naked' the Compaq will conect. Right? That is what mine does. But you don't want to have a naked router in a busy neighborhood. The is a problem with the security thing in Windows XP and it was fixed in an update. If you did not get the update, the security does not work right. The PC can not get the password right. It is somewhere in the Microsoft KB, I just can not remember. I wish I could, I would like to get my old Compaq to work on a secure wireless router. It has XP SP2 from HP, but not all the updates. Can't get the updates 'cause it can't connect! Have not yet tried my SP3 CD on it. Afraid to try it.

Maybe you could put SP3 on your machine.
          And tell us it it solved the problem. OK?   ;D