Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Save As" and duplicate page download  (Read 4622 times)

johd

"Save As" and duplicate page download
« on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:14 AM »
When I do a "Save As" of a web page in IE 6.0, the program appears to be fetching the page again over the Internet before writing it to disk (the connection icon and Zonealarm icon in the taskbar both flash briefly).  In Tools/Internet Options/Settings, I have "Check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "Never".  How can I prevent it from doing the second fetch?

gussery

Re: "Save As" and duplicate page downloa
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 09:32:45 AM »
OK, I don't know the answer to this, but I could probably figure it out.........

But before I look into it, my curiousity has the best of me.  Why does it matter whether or not it does the second fetch?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
     johd...........I'm not 100% sure but I believe thats just the way it does it ......is that a problem for you ?
    Perhaps one of our very technical members will offer a better answer for you .

dl5  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

johd

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 05:32:53 PM »
    To answer the question, "Why does it matter?".  I do "Save As" quite frequently.  Each time, the second fetch eats up a bit more of the download quota I have been allocated by my ISP.  Also, it clogs up the Internet with unnecessary traffic, thereby slowing it down (even if only slightly) for everyone else.  If a lot of people are doing it, the "clogging" effect would be magnified.

gussery

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 06:08:46 PM »
    Download quota, well that explains it.  I wasn't even aware that some ISPs still had those.  

When you do the "Save As" are you doing "Web page, complete" (the default) or "Web Page, HTML only"?  I don't notice a hit on my connection with the second and I have my IE "Check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "Automatically".

johd

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 12:56:23 AM »
    Gussery.  I have been using "Save As" with "Web page, complete".  Since reading your post, I have tried it with "Web Page, HTML only", and with "Check for new versions of stored pages" set to "Never", and, similar to you, I did not see any activity on the icons.  This will be useful to know if I were only wanting to save the HTML, but usually I like to save the whole page.  Thanks for your help.