Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 Craches  (Read 5545 times)

Betinho

Windows 98 Craches
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:43:15 AM »
I have a pc using Windows 98, K6 II 500 MHz, RAM 256 MB, and one soft created in Clipper for DOS.  So I created an icon at the desktop and I can click and use the soft normally,but when I quit this soft and go back to Windows, it crashes( I donīt know this word in English ) and I have to turn it off because nothing functions anymore.  Do you know something
to do to solve this problem ??  What do I have to do ??  Please. :)

Thanks.

Kablam

Re: Windows 98 Craches
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 11:51:17 AM »
has this been a problem since you installed the clipper or just recent?

Stickyfgz

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »
Go into the Add/Remove program and uninstall that program and everything should be back to normal. If not maybe you'll need to reinstall your OS.

Betinho

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:51:13 AM »
It is happening since I installed Windows 98SE.

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:33:09 PM »
I'm a windows 98 user and I notice that sometimes there are pauses which I am trying to fix. As for your problem what applications do you attempt to run when it crashes? By the Way, Check for errors and defragment if you can. It might take a while. Also don't jhave to many taskbar.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 09:34:23 PM by Windows98 »

Betinho

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:29:10 AM »
There isnīt any soft at the task bar.  I have enough memory, processor.  Maybe I have to change something in the autoexec.bat, config.sys ??  But what do I have to change ??

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 02:10:43 PM »
most crashes are caused by files not being understood properly??one of many reasons>>..but you should read more..>>>.http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/f/8/f8i/pedon/download.html

and the command >edit .....in the dos prompt is a valuable tool;)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 06:48:56 PM »
Betinho:

The correct phrase in English (if you are still curious) is "the computer hangs" or "the computer fails to respond" but crashes gets the point across just fine.  :)

Two questions:

Do you receive any error messages? (if you do, then try to reproduce the problem and write the exact message down, then let us know what it says).

Have you checked the Web site of the maker of the Clipper program for a software patch to fix the problem that you may download and install? (if the site still exists, and this was a common problem with Windows 98 SE, they probably have the patch available).

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:51:35 PM by pcdoc4christ »