Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME System Restore  (Read 8369 times)

serenity

Windows ME System Restore
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:48:18 PM »
My Windows ME System Restore function is inactive and I cannot activate it.  
-If I start System restore and try to create a restore point, it gives me an error window that states it cannot create a restore point, to restart the computer and System Restore again.
-If I select to return the computer to a previous point in time, there are no restore points to choose.
-When I right click on the desktop computer and select Properties/Performance/FileSystem/Troubleshooting, the box to disable System Restore is unchecked.

If I use Disk Cleanup, the computer freezes up and I have to kill the power. If I try to use Windows Media Player (ver 9), it also freezes up and I have to turn the power off - no response from keyboard.

I think I have a corrupted registry but I don't know how to fix it.

This PC is a Sony Vaio I purchased in 2000; all software was pre-installed. When I tried to upgrade the McAfee Virus program from ver 5 to ver 6 I ran into a conflict and I had to download instructions from McAfee to manually uninstall ver 5 and reinstalling version 6. After this I started getting frequent BSODs (blue screen of death) where I had to reboot constantly or kill the power.

Later, I downloaded free software such as Spybot, Adaware and Zone Alarm to keep up with the onslaught of spam, pop-ups, viruses, etc.  I downloaded utilities that check "the hard drive", and programs that check your registry and fix problems accumulated over time.

The installation diskettes revert the system to the state the PC was in when I bought it. I then upgrade all the software again: download IE ver 6 with all the updates, reinstall all software that came with things I purchased such as a Digital Camera or MP3 player.

I need help; I've been to the standard help at Microsoft Support but can't find answers to this problem.

How do I fix System Restore so that it is active?
How do I fix Disk Cleanup or WMP 9.0 so that they do not freeze up?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows ME System Restore
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »
    Many problems here, I would....
    1.  Get AVG
    2.  Uninstall McAfee
    3.  Install AVG & update sigs
    4.  Download, install, update & run ccleaner (2 c's)
    5.  Go to windows update and 'do it'.
    6.  Do a defrag & see where you stand then.

serenity

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 10:41:54 PM »
    I ran an antivirus scan (F-Secure, not AVG); negative.
    I was able to run ScanDisk and Disk Defragment successfully.
    DiskCleanup and Windows Media Player still make the computer freeze (no mouse, no keyboard support).

Can I modify the system restore executable file in the Registry Editor? I've never altered lines in the editor outside of manually eliminating Mcafee Viruscan 5.0 with instructions sent.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 06:12:09 AM by serenity »

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:31:25 PM »
    Are you absolutley sure you have system restore enable? If you have it disable sometime then you cant use system restore

jim_me2

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 12:52:39 AM »
    You are NOT having fun!  :-/  The only time I used McAfee I had nothing but problems. ME wasn't too great either but it seemed to do okay.
    If you still have McAfee 6 loaded, disable it before using another antivirus. Conflicts.
    You can download a trial version of Norton at http://www.symantec.com/downloads/
    You can also go to http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chwinme.htm on this site for troubleshooting information on ME.
    Hope this helps. Let us know how you're doing.
    jim

serenity

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 07:17:49 AM »
    Thank you for the suggestions; I'll have to go through all the solutions just to check everything.

Yes, I'm sure System Restore is enabled. The check box that disables it is not checked in the System  configuration. Last night I checked the file stored in the CAB folder; it is the same size and date as the one in the System folder. I can start it but cannot create or restore any points. There is enough memory allocated for its use. I may have found a clue (see below)

I am able to start the PC and surf the internet. Scandisk and Disk Defrag were performed without problems. The antivirus I have (F-Secure) reports no viruses and is functioning properly.

However, when I was downloading critical updates from Windows Update website I was the Microsoft NET update failed (it's failed several times now).

Disk Cleanup utility hangs and Windows Media Player hangs while connecting.

My PC originallly came with Windows Media Player ver 7 and I decided to update with ver 9. During the installation a window popped up stating that System Restore was not on and recommended cancelling install and starting System Restore first. Of course I haven't been able to turn it on, so I proceeded with the install and a second error message appeared:

-Setup_wm has caused an error in kernel32.dll. Setup_wm will now close.

I'm not sure what kernel32.dll manages or what the Media Player, Disk cleanup and System Restore have in common. So tonight I may uninstall WMP and check if that has any effect. Any other suggestions?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:23:28 PM »
    Serenity:

According to Microsoft, the setup program is causing the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319508

This is just a guess, but the setup program may be corrupted.  Try deleting it, downloading another setup program, and launching that one instead.

Regards,
    Doc

serenity

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:19:35 PM »
    When Windows Media Player setup file begins downloading, it attempts to establish a restore point first. An error message stating that System Restore is turned off appears and you are prompted to cancel the operation, turn on system restore and then reinstall.

My System Restore does not work even though the system configuration reports it is ON. So I clicked on continue installation of Windows Media Player.

During the install, an error message stating that wm_setup has caused an error in kernel32.dll and must close. The Media Player does not work because it is partially installed and System Restore does not work so I cannot "go back" in time.

I am reluctant to wipe my system clean and reset it to the software it had when i purchased it with the  original CDs I received. I would have to upgrade or reinstall every application since the year 2000.

I'll try to use Real Player to listen to music until I can figure a way to fix System Restore.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 05:53:54 PM »
    Serenity:

System Restore requires sufficient free space on your hard drive to save data when you create restore points.  If your hard drive does not have enough free space, you will not be able to enable it.  How much free space do you have on your hard drive?  (To check, right-click on drive C: in My Computer and select Properties.) If you have more than one logical drive, let us know how much free space is on each.

Regards,
    Doc

serenity

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 10:00:22 PM »
    c: drive has 12.8GB Free Space (3.16GB used)

d: drive has 39.8GB Free Space (19.0MB used)

System Restore disk space use is set to max 1962 MB under File System Properties, Hard Disk tab.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 06:23:16 AM »
    Serenity:

Investigate this link to see if it helps:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=306768

serenity

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 06:48:36 AM »
    Thank you, that was a thorough link with many options. I tried everything that applied to my situation and none of the solutions worked.

Oh well! I can: a) reload the operating system, which I am reluctant to do or;  b) take it up with Microsoft and have to pay their price; c) do nothing and live without System Restore or Windows Media Player on this PC.

I'll keep my eyes open and check back here from time to time. I'll post the solution when I find out what happened. I have a feeling that one of the free utilities such as Zone Alarm or Spybot, Adaware, etc. corrupted System Restore.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 06:49:14 AM by serenity »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 12:15:59 PM »
    Serenity:

Sorry we could not do more.  Hope things work out!

Regards,
    Doc

serenity

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 03:39:40 PM »
    I was able to get System Restore back by re-installing Windows ME and without having to format the drive or restore the entire system.  Just hit Start/Run and enter or browse to c:\windows\options\cab\setup.exe

After doing so, Internet Explorer was set to 5.5 (the version that came with the PC). I've tried several times to setup IE6 SP1 but I get an error message stating that not all components were installed successfully: Internet Explorer 6 web browser, offline browsing pack, browser customizations, advanced authoring, address book, Outlook Express and Vector Graphics Rendering (V
    ML).

Then, when I clicked on desktop folders I got the following error: Explorer caused an error in WMPDXM.DLL and I could not access the contents of my folders except through the Start/Run button. Even "Search for Files/Folders" gave the error.

I then Googled WMPDXM.DLL and found that in order to fix the error just type in the Start/Run window 'regsrv32 wmpdxm.dll' and it registers the file, which has to do with Windows Media Player version 6.4 and is sometimes in version 9 and 10.

So, then I clicked on a desktop folder and it opened just fine. When I rebooted the computer and then clicked on a desktop folder, I got the following error message: Explorer has caused an error in MSDXM.OCX I also fixed this problem by typing in the Start/Run window "regsrv32 msdxm.ocx".

So, in summary:
    I have System Restore back and working by reinstalling the operating system.

I am able to listen to media through Windows Media Player, which was not working because the first thing it does when you download version 9 is set a Restore Point.

Finally, I learned that if you google a filename you get answers that are specific to your error. I wasted a lot of time combing Microsoft support webpages and forums. Although, I'm glad I found Computerhope.com!

merlin_2

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 03:54:12 PM »
    maybe typing scanreg/restore  it the msdos prompt would have done it.........each to there own,but i would dump zone labs.......and go for sygate........i would disable system restore ..... the virus folder........and not use ie6/wmp9.............stick with what  you have unless you know what you are doing.......upgrading may lead to downgrading.......sorry if this  appears a negitive ....but!
    « Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 03:56:27 PM by merlin_2 »