Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows 98se - won't defrag  (Read 4248 times)

frugal

windows 98se - won't defrag
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
to make a long story short I 'm trying to get my old 98SE up and running as a stand alone . the battery was low , I lost the BIOS settings , replaced the battery, then fumbled my way  through that. Still may need some guidance if i haven't done things right in Bios.  I now have the computer running and starting right but I noticed my defrag and scandisc are not up yet . schedule have been reduced , no screensaver is on but the scandisc has a message , " Try 10 times". which is the buttons to turn on /off to correct this . thanks
frugal - beginner level

Thanks Mr.Tee for your welcome and info
I will now try to answer the questions

Celeron 2 - 500 MHz / microsoft 98SE 4.10.2222A operating system / 128 MB ram / graphic - ATI Rage 128Xpert / Aopen FM56-pm 56k speakerphone pci modem / Viewsonic Q71 monitor I hope I got all this right , if I don't please tell me what else is needed .
further ideas that have been tried /  improper shutdown - scandisk does scan before start up -got this idea from computerhope Q&A section ??? Thanks for any help you can give - just trying to stay ahead of the grandkid.
Thank - Dias de Verano
your suggestion to go to microsoft help site work
 I needed to do the ctrl-alt-delete section to get thing working better thank so very much everyone
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:17:47 PM by frugal »

mr tee

Beginner
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: windows 98se - won't defrag
    « Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »
    welcome to computer hope frugal .  ;)  you will find that if you give everyone some mre info on your system i.e  windows 2002 xp pro 512 mb intel cel 80gb desktop ...etc  you will then make it easier for people to assist you ! cheers and welcome !   ;D

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:31:10 AM »
    welcome to computer hope frugal .  ;)  you will find that if you give everyone some mre info on your system i.e  windows 2002 xp pro 512 mb intel cel 80gb desktop ...etc  you will then make it easier for people to assist you ! cheers and welcome !   ;D

He says it's a laptop, running Windows 98SE, and he gets the 10 times message from Scandisk, these are quite enough to start with.

Here is an article about that

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222469

mr tee

Beginner
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »
      oohh dear i thought he commented about losing his bios settings there are probably people that see this thread that have ..asus g70s t9300 2.5ghz/4gb/640gb laptops or they may have ..toshiba satelite p100 t240 (1.83ghz/ 1gb) or even lenovo s10 n270 1.6ghz/1gb/160gb laptop or acer aspire one 1.6ghz/512mb/8gb laptops... but obviously they have identical bios setups ..i actually figured if frugal posted these details there would be a possibility that someone with the same machine would solve the issue in one post.. please forgive me dais ... not intensionally done