Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Registry  (Read 40815 times)

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Re: Windows Registry
    « Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 12:58:14 AM »
    Hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha  :'(
    Opened my big gob too soon didn't i.   :-X
    DRIVER IRQ BSOD at 9pm ish.
    Looks like i'll try that repair then..................

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 01:32:44 AM »
    At this point, you might be better off just saving all of the data that you want to save, and doing a clean install.

by the way, you never answered this
    What antivirus programs do you have installed?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:17 AM »
      You know what? i think you may be right, i was just in the process of downloading SP3 and creating a slipstream cd.
      Never used one before but it seems the quickest route.
      Any reason not to use one as far as you know?

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »
      No

Just realize you will lose all of your data. Any programs will need to be reinstalled.

After the install you want to check device manager to make sure all of your drivers loaded. Then go to Microsoft Update and get all of the updates that are available for your machine. After that install the antivirus program of your choice and you should be good to go.

Patio mentioned that the cause of your problems could be your power supply. Have you tried a different one, just to rule that out as the culprit?
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      « Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 02:10:51 AM »
      If you don't want to go through the process of creating a slipstream disk, you can just use your original XP disk to do the install and then download all of the updates from microsoft update.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 09:58:12 AM »
        JJ, sorry, thought i'd answered that one, i'm using Avast after getting miffed with the time AVG took to load at start up.
        (Now i don't like how long Avasts 'quick scan' takes, but hey, it's free.)

As for the PSU, i don't have a better, more powerful one, only an inferior one that came with this case, but it is new so is it worth a try?? Or shall i do the deed anyway as i don't really give a hoot?

As for data, not too bothered, i'm at that point where there is so much junk on here yet you daren't uninstall it, just in case!!

Will windows install drivers other than it's default ones then? I thought i had to do that manually for each piece of hardware?

I'll wait for any final answers/advice before i do the deed.

Cheers

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
        If you don't want to go through the process of creating a slipstream disk, you can just use your original XP disk to do the install and then download all of the updates from microsoft update.

But without at least sp1 you'll get infected very soon if you're connected to the web.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 04:28:53 PM »
        But without at least sp1 you'll get infected very soon
        SP2?...where the firewall comes in.... ;D

x2543

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
        But without at least sp1 you'll get infected very soon if you're connected to the web.

I'd just install the XP and immediately download the sp2 if your version of windows xp doesn't have it. You probably need sp2 anyway to install some programs.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 08:33:10 PM »
        You download SP2 standalone on secure computer, move it to the computer #2, install it there, turn Windows firewall on, and then you connect to the net.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »

I've done this several times and have never had that happen. The first thing to do after the install is make sure all of your drivers loaded. The very next thing is connect to the internet, go to windows update and get all of the updates that are available. Service pack two is usually one of the first updates that you get. You have to  keep restarting and going back to Microsoft update until it stops finding updates for your computer. After that, install the antivirus of your choice and you should be good to go.

If you want to create a slipsteam disk, go ahead. I've never had problems with slipstream disks.

As for your drivers, you may get lucky and the XP disk will recognize all of your hardware and load drivers during the install. I've had luck with this several times. As I mentioned above, the very first thing to do after you have installed XP is check device manager. Click Start then Run and type in:  devmgmt.msc and press enter.  If you see any yellow exclamation marks you will need a driver for that device.

When you bought your computer it should have came with a few Cd's. One of these will be your drivers CD. It might say something like "drivers and utilities" on it. That will have all of the drivers for your computer on it.

If you don't have a drivers CD, don't worry. Your computer manufacturer's website should have all of your drivers available for download. If you do have to download drivers, use a different computer to get them and save them to a CD. Remember, the very first thing you want to do after you have connected to the internet, is go to Microsoft Update and get all of the updates that are available for your machine (even if you use the slipstream disk).
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:43 AM »
          Cheers all for the suggestions and advice, not sure why noone has mentioned SP3?
          That is what i was going to make the slipstream with.
          Another BSOD this morning, hope it's not hardware after all this.
          Ah hah!

JJ 3000

Egghead
          « Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:49 AM »
          SP3 is one of the updates that windows update will give you.

Even if you do use the slipstream disk, get all of the updates available after you do the install.

By the way, If you  want a free antivirus program check out avira. I like it.
          http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 02:37:01 AM »
            Hi JJ, nice to know you are around, do you live on these forums   ;D

I'm just in the process of saving my outlook express messages/settings, bit mad!

I'll take a look at the anti virus you suggest, cheers.

I'm nearly ready to go for the big one, nothing to lose................................... .... :-X

Sceptical

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
              Well, hello again one and all.
              I have reinstalled windows, all is fine except the graphics.
              It has just taken me half an hour to scroll through this page.
              My system recognises that i have a VGA card, i have downloaded the latest driver from NVidia, turned off my anti virus, installed it, but there is an exclamation mark by the card in device manager after restart. I uninstalled, reinstalled, no good. I have uninstalled the driver again and downloaded it again in case of corrupt download.
              I am now going to turn off, reseat the card and try all over again.
              Iwonder if my card has had it?? Reason for BSOD's??

Don't know what is wrong with the driver (or me), but i have allowed windows to install a driver for me and it is working.
              The one i tried to install from nvidia was very new, 2/4/2009, not sure if there is a problem with it.
              « Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:04:34 AM by Sceptical »