Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Zipped Files - PLEASE HELP :(  (Read 4539 times)

street_6

Topic Starter

Starter

Zipped Files - PLEASE HELP :(
    « on: April 03, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »
    Hi, this is really anoying and is most likely really easy to solve but here goes....

I bought a new computer (The one I am on now), it's Windows Vista and has 3 user acounts on here.
    One for me, one for my sister and one for my mother.

My mother and sister can download, extract and create zipped files by simpily right clicking on it and selecting it on the drop down menu that appears, yet files that are zipped/compressed on my acount are shown as word documents which are then unable to be opened or read. I also can not create zipped files.

I have another computer and laptop in the house that both work with zipped files with no problems, one being vista and one being XP, so i do not understand why zipped fiels do not work for only one account on one computer.

So my question is:  How can I get zipped files to be reconised on my account?

Please Help if you can, Any ideas are welcome, Thank you x

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

Re: Zipped Files - PLEASE HELP :(
      « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »
      Welcome :) First off, are you an administrator of the computer?  In other words, do you or do you not have a limited account?  If it is limited, thats probably what it is.  Post back whether or not your account is limited.

street_6

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
        Both me and my sister are administrators while my mother isn't.

xx

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »
          You said that the zipped folder is being shown as a word document?  If you double click it, what happens?

street_6

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »
            It trys to open it in word and then an error message comes up telling me that the file can not be opened in word. Ive tryed opening it in something else but, again, it won't let me.
            I also tryed to change the 'file type' but I can't do that either.

xx

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
              You mean that you tried to right-click it and tried from there?  The only other thing I can think of is that your flie association for zipped files is damaged/gone.  The only place I found is here:
              http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html
              where you can get a fix for it. However, you need to unzip a folder to acces it.  Which it sounds like you cant do. The instructions to use it are provided in the link.

RobCr

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:22:12 PM »
                XP's inbuilt zip handling really annoys me. (Haven't tried Vista yet).
                I used to be one of those people that had to solve everything.
                I have learned that I would have to live till 1,000, if I kept doing that.
                If you are not intending to live to 1,000 -
                Try the free 7Zip
                http://www.7-zip.org/
                It has nice right click options, such as the one I use all the time -
                'Extract here'

Rob