Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: spyware & adware destroying my computer  (Read 10293 times)

tech2k

spyware & adware destroying my computer
« on: May 04, 2004, 03:05:09 PM »
Recently my computer started acting up. For no reason it shuts down unexpectedly. I thought there was a virus but the antivirus didn't detect any viruses on my computer maybe is hidden. I really need your help what programs can I use or buy in order to protect from all viruses, spyware, adware, hacker you name it.  Any suggestion of how to stop these? I'm concern about security and privacy when surfing the Internet.  Need guidance. thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: spyware & adware destroying my computer
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 08:54:59 PM »
    teck2k.....perhaps you could give us a little more info....like what O/S are you running , what kind of Anti virus are you using..Are all your patches and updates
    current and how often is your puter shutting down ? On regular time intervals or just random? Has it been doing anything else that is unusual?

Let us know,

dl65 ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

tech2k

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 08:29:26 AM »
    I am running Windows ME and using 2002 norton antivirus and downloaded the most recent patches and updates. The computer shutsdown Ramdonly right in the middle of my Work. I thought that there could be a virus but the problem is the antivirus didn't detect anything.
    The computer's performance is so sluggish. I getting so fed ud with system. Might as well wipe out the hard drive and start all over again.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:22:37 PM »
      Hi tech2K....Is your NAV 2002 current check your subscription date on the status page .....the latest virus definitions were dated 05/05/2004 Read th following...
      Reminiscent of last summer's Lovsan/MS Blaster worm, W32/Sasser.worm.a and W32/Sasser.worm.b are Medium Risk Internet worms that exploit a vulnerability in the Microsoft Windows operating system, especially 2000 and XP.
      The sasser worm will do exactly as you describe.
      When your looking at the sasser info  run the test from that page and see if your Norton AV  activates a warning for you when you download the "TEST page"

Hope this helps you,

dl65  ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 01:26:14 PM »
        Hi teck2K.....ooops I fouled up the last post .......go to
        http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=125007&cid=10152  

this should work.

dl65   ???

mark_c

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 03:30:16 PM »
        http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Check that out.  Meant to stop spyware getting on your comp in the first place.

Have to clean it up first of course. :)

screensaver

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »
        If it is not a virus or spyware you might want to take a look at your power supply.  It may be on the brink of dying.  

tennisjump

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 04:33:13 PM »
        download adaware and spybot, they will wipe out most of the spyware, you can find the links at www.spywareinfo.com

merlin

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 04:10:47 PM »
        ok to run winme and any other pc here is what i recomend people should DONT UPDATE ANYTHING FROM M$OFT <which includes wmp9 ie6 sp1> disable updates it was ok before when i first got it? i hear you say next stop paying for software loads of free stuff out there just what watch what you are downloading?<spyware=grief>next a firewall from sygate and antivir from majorgeeks and  skin you pc ...maybe later on this...this pc has been runing fault free for four years and not an update insight...after all any download from m$oft can fail and so does your pc with it...and the biggest place virus lurk is system restore...disable it...
        « Last Edit: May 30, 2004, 04:13:37 PM by merlin »