Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Says It Has A Problem  (Read 14855 times)

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Windows Says It Has A Problem
    « on: May 07, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »
    I am running Win98SE, and I'm having problems with it refusing to make sounds. The CD works. I can play music. However, Windows itself, and any Windows program refuse to make sounds. If I connect an input device, no sound comes out., either.

Iv'gone to the Settings>Control Panel>multimedia>Devices>audio devices> and the appropriate audio device, and checked its properties. The window which appears tells me "Status: Driver is enabled, but inactive due to an unknown problem".  That really isn't much help.

Can anyone tell me, not the answer to what is wrong, but how I go about finding what the problem is? I figure if I can find out that, I can probably find the solution.
    Tom

pcdoc4christ

Re: Windows Says It Has A Problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 06:25:35 PM »
    Barefoot:

The place to start is at the beginning.  What change was made to the computer just prior to this problem?

For example, did you install a new sound card?  Install a new multi-media program?  Did your anti-virus program detect a virus?  Was your home hit by lightning?

Let us know.

Regards,
    Doc

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 09:01:50 PM »
    Have you tried updating your sound card drivers by going to the sound card manufacturer's website?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mac

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 02:48:06 AM »
    Which Sound scheme have you choosen, or have they all been deleted?

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 08:30:10 AM »
      Thanks for your efforts to help.More specifics might be in order.
       The motherboard is an Epox EP-8KHA; the chipset is Via VT8366A Apollo KT266A; the audio driver is VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM). This driver was the one both VIA and EPOX recommend for the chipset.

The problem started when I replaced the hard drive in the computer. The sound worked well with whatever files were on the old hard drive (which was running Win2000). I still can have access to the old hard drive, but can't figure out what files I should copy, and even if I do, whether they'll work with Win98SE.
      Tom

Mac

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 08:43:51 AM »
      A sound file is a sound file and they usually have a .wav file extension.

If you use search and search for .wav you should find them all. They should all have a Windows Media Player icon and when you right-click them you should be able to choose Play from the menu.

If this is not the case you'll need to check your .wav file association.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 03:00:53 PM »
        You've obviously misdunderstood the problem. I can not play any sound file using Media Player, or anything other Windows program: not .wav;not MP3; not .mid; nothing. Windows says my sound driver is enabled, but has a problem. It won't tell me what the problem is, and I want to know how to find out.
        Tom

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
        Tom... I want you to go to your sound card manufacturer's webiste and reinstall your sound card's drivers...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 04:44:31 PM »
        Barefoot:

Thanks for the info.  The drivers for your sound card that worked with Windows 2000 will likely not work with Windows 98.  So, if you had Windows 98 use the 2000 drivers on a floppy disk, that might be the problem.

Lets check the Properties for your sound card:

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Multimedia.

2. In Multimedia Properties, select the Devices tab.

3. Take note of any devices that have a red X through them or an exclamation point (!) next to them.

4. Double-click Audio Devices to expand the tree (your sound card should appear), then click your sound card and click the Properties button.

5. In the properties for your sound card, make sure that next to "Status:" it states, "Driver is enabled and active."  If it does not, let us know what it says.

6. Also in the properties for your sound card, make sure that "Use audio features on this device" is selected.

7. If the Settings button is not grayed out, click it and let us know what settings are enabled for the sound card.

After you check all this out leave a reply, and Flame or Mac or i will suggest what to do next.

Regards,
        Doc

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 06:50:29 PM »
          Everyone-I don't have a sound card installed. As I said in the beginning, the sound is part of the installed chipset. All the information on the motherboard and chip set is in my post above.
          Here's what Windows tells me about the Audio drivers: (This, too, was in my first post)  
          Iv'gone to the Settings>Control Panel>multimedia>Devices>audio devices> and the appropriate audio device, and checked its properties. The window which appears tells me "Status: Driver is enabled, but inactive due to an unknown problem".  That really isn't much help.
          Tom

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 07:44:56 PM »
            In the fervid hope that I didn't know what I was doing the last couple of times I tried this, I went to the VIA site (They made the chipset); checked for drivers for my OS (Win98SE); since there were several listed, I checked aginst the SouthBridge on my chip, then downloaded the appropriate driver. I installed it, re-booted; and there was no change. The same problem (whatever it is) persists.
            Tom

Mac

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 05:49:55 AM »
            So you have 'on-board' sound rather than a sound card as such. When I moved my computer to its present location the sound card fell out of the mainboard.

When I replaced it I also found that there were loose connections and loose plugs. So look for any loose connections from the on-board chip-set on the mainboard first of all.

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 06:30:26 AM »
              Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The sound works well when I'm playing a CD using the CD player, so I know the chip is functioning.
              Tom

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 06:40:02 AM »
              Everyone-I don't have a sound card installed. As I said in the beginning, the sound is part of the installed chipset. All the information on the motherboard and chip set is in my post above.
              Here's what Windows tells me about the Audio drivers: (This, too, was in my first post)  
               Tom

Barefoot:

Sorry for overlooking this (ADD gets the best of me at times)!

For help regarding troubleshooting sound problems (and troubleshooting audio chipsets is very similar to troubleshooting sound cards) check out this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fsupport%2Fwindows%2Ftopics%2FHardware%2Fsound.asp

Now, i agree with Flame that the most likely cause is an incorrect driver, but it sounds as if you have tried several drivers that the motherboard maker (and also the chipset manufacturer) have available to download.

Another cause of the problem may be drivers that were installed with a software program, or problems with Microsoft DirectX.  To run the DirectX diagnostic tool, do this:

1. Click Start > Run... > type dxdiag and press ENTER.

2. Select the various tabs to see if the tool finds any problems, and run the troubleshooters for any sound-related items.

Also, if you want to try other drivers for the chipset but are unsure which ones, reply with the address of the download Web page and one of us will make a recommendation.

Regards,
              Doc

« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 06:45:21 AM by pcdoc4christ »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                « Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 08:03:11 AM »
                Ran dxdiag; ran the troubleshooters; no luck- Here's the address for the VIA website. I'd welcome your suggestions.
                http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2

Tom

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 12:08:24 PM »
                Barefoot:

Believe it or not, the driver provided by the motherboard manufacturer may work better than the ones provided by the chipset maker.  Try this driver:

http://www.epox.com/USA/article.asp?ID=1023

Or, access the driver download by clicking here and clicking on the driver button on the Web page:

http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?ID=EP-8KHA

If this driver doesn't fix the problem, then there may be a conflict between the chipset and another device.  To check this possibility out, launch System from the Control Panel and click on the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.  Let one of us know if you need help using the Device Manager to troubleshoot hardware conflicts.

Regards,
                Doc
                « Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 12:36:29 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  « Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »
                  I went to Epox's and downloade and installed the recommended driver. No luck! They were recommending an earlier version of the VIA drivers. I had been using 590b, they recommended 390a.
                  Looking at the Device Manager, I can find no conflicts. It says the audio device is working properly, and that there are no driver conflicts.
                  I also ran the MSINFO32.EXE, and it doesn't show any conflicts.
                  I should have mentioned that dxdiag couldn't find a driver when I ran the music test. I have no idea why.
                  Tom

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 08:37:38 PM »
                  Barefoot:

OK, you have rulled out this as the cause:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;192046

Now, are you sure the chipset number VT8336 is correct?  The Windows 98 hardware compatibility list (HCL) lists only these VIA Technologies, Inc. audio controllers:

VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT8231/686B/686A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller(VT8231) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller(VT8231/686B/686A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8231) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8233C) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8233A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8233C) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC’97 Audio Controller (VT8231/686A/686B) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8233A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT8231) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT82C686A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT82C686A) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT82C686B) WLP 1.1
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8233) WLP 1.1
                    VIA PCI Audio Controller PC 98
                    VIA PCI Audio Controller (78D2) WLP 1.1
                    VIA PCI Audio Controller (78D2) WLP 1.1
                    VT82C686A WLP 1.1

And even the Windows XP HCL lists only these:

VIA - IC Ensemble Envy24HT PCI Audio Controller Family WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8237) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (VT8231/686B/686A) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller(VT8231/686B/686A) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8231) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8233C) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8233A) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8233C) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC’97 Audio Controller (VT8231/686A/686B) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8233A) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller (VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA AC’97 Enhanced Audio Controller(VT8235) WLP 2.0
                    VIA Audio Codec Driver WLP 2.0
                    VIA Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo WDM Driver

The HCL links are here:

https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/display.asp?FileName=hcl/Win98HCL.txt

https://winqual.microsoft.com/download/display.asp?FileName=hcl/WinXPHCLx86.txt

If the number is correct, then it may be that the chipset is just not supported by Window 98 SE and no drivers will be compatible(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254081).  In that case, you may have to purchase a sound card to install and disable the on-board audio controller in the BIOS setup.  

Before you do this, however, i'd recommend that you check the obvious.  Try using the speakers on another computer to see if they are still working.  Make sure they are plugged in and the power button is on.  Try using a different set of speakers.  Make sure the BIOS setup does not have exterior speakers disabled.  Check the BIOS setup to make sure the on-board audio controller is not disabled.  Try checking the Windows 98 volume settings to make sure that sounds other than the CD digital audio are not muted (click Start > Run > type Sndvol32 and click OK).  

Also try some of the not-so-obvious solutions: Try the speaker driver to see if your system will play .WAV files (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;138857).  Try removing and reinstalling the audio codecs (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;142731).  Try these other troubleshooting suggestions (http://support.microsoft.com/common/canned.aspx?R=d&H=windows+98+sound+troubleshooting+articles&LL=kbwin98search+or+kbwin98sesearch&Sz=hwsndts&Fr=&DU=&SD=GN&LN=EN-US&CND=1&VR=&CAT=&VRL=&SG=).

Regards,
                  Doc
                  « Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 08:46:07 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Barefoot_Tom

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                    « Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 07:18:40 AM »

The chipset is correct. I ran Aida32 to get the information. Via & Epox say they have drivers for Win98SE.
                       As I've said- the speakers work- I can play CD's using the CD Player.
                    System information tells me there are no devices with problems. Multimedia Audio  Device Properties says the device is enabled but inactive due to unknown problems.

My question is: How do I find out what the "unknown problem" is?
                    Tom

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:44:39 PM »
                    ...My question is: How do I find out what the "unknown problem" is?
                    Tom

Good question, Tom.  I've run out of possible answers, but i'll pray about it, and sleep on it, and let you know if i come up with anything.

Maybe Mac or Flame have some ideas?