Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Welcome cdubois4  (Read 12416 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Welcome cdubois4
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
I noticed "cdubois4" has just completed his first unit. Thought I'd officially welcome to our team. :)

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

cdubois4

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Welcome cdubois4
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »
Thank you I am happy to do it. I just managed to build myself a pc and am using a portion of it for folding...seems the least I can do since I have a AMD Phenom II x4 3.0 GHz CPU. I do not think I am getting full use of the processor though, it just seems kind of slow. Does any one have any answers to this?
Thanks again for letting me join.

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Welcome cdubois4
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:06:42 PM »
The basic Folding @ Home utility only utilizes one of the cores in your processor. So in the case of your AMD Phenom II x4 that has multiple cores you'll need to utilize a SMP client to get all cores working. Additional information about how to do this is in the below link. Keep in mind that this is in beta and that it's not for the faint of heart. However, with you building your own system I'd imagine you'd be ok.  ;D

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein