Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Dell Laptop and New D-Link DIR655 wireless router  (Read 3467 times)

aggie-61

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

New Dell Laptop and New D-Link DIR655 wireless router
    « on: April 10, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »
    How do I set up the computer thru the  wireless router to get secured internet service ?  I have the computer up and running on the internet but it says I am not protected.  Also should I be running public or private network sharing?

Thanks
    Aggie

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: New Dell Laptop and New D-Link DIR655 wireless router
      « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:31 PM »
      Hello Aggie
      When setting up your wireless network u should use WPA setting for a secure connection, also u can choose not to boardcast your SSID, wireless network name. 

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
      Your router is saying your not protected, or your computer?

If its your computer:
      Its saying your not protected since you dont have Firewall or Antivirus enabled.. or both.

Its fine to broadcast SSID, since anyone intending to hack you will just use a WiFi "sniffer" that will pull up the ID, which is broadcast by any computer connected to it...

midsail

Hopeful
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:05:02 AM »
        What Zylstra states is true, but it really doesn't hurt anything. It will just keep your SSID not showing within the wireless network range. The router u brought came with a CD or just go to the website of the router and download the instruction manual. It should should have instructions on setting a WPA/WPA2 secure network. Also follow Zylstra advise on the computer: update OS, firewall and anti virus.

aggie-61

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:47:36 AM »
          Thanks to all who replied to the question.  I am up and running fine now.  I have another questioned that I will post.

Again, thanks to all for the help.