Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing a printer on a simple network  (Read 5477 times)

veblen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Sharing a printer on a simple network
    « on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »
    I have a simple setup.Wireless enabled Dell Laptop and Dell desktop with adapter.The desktop is connected to an Epson printer(photo 870) by parallel printer cable. The router is Netgear DG834G v4 .The first thing was to get both computers sharing broadband. This works fine.

I now wish to move on and need help.

First I would likeboth computers to share the printer. From Google I get conflicting views. First that I need a wireless enabled printer.Second  that provided the Dell desktop (and printer)is left switched on it will be possible to share the printer . The second option is the one I wish to pursue.

Second I wish  to to be able to move files between computers on my network.I have not been able to crack the documentation on this . Can anyone help ?

The Desktop OS is win 98SE,the laptop OS is Vista.

Thanks

Veblen

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sharing a printer on a simple network
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
    If the Vista and 98 machines can share folders they can also share printers, in most cases. You need to run the network wizard on both machines and pay attention to the questions. Bither computers on on a home network. Bother computers will have file and printer sharing.
    On the Win 98 machine make a shaded folder inside of My Documents. Call it 'Share Docs" or something like that.  Run sharing on for that folder.
    The vista computer also has some way to turn on sharing. And make sure there is a shard folder and that it does have sharing on.
    Once the two computers "See" each other in the Network, you will be able to share the printer. Afain, you have to set sharing on the printer.
    You need to use the most simple form of network sharing to use Vista and Win98 together. Win 98 does not have all the extra sstuff.

Here is a link that may help some, but if it is too much, come back here please.
    http://www.crn.com/white-box/59201759

veblen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 05:19:14 AM »
      Many thanks for prompt and helpful message.

I think the win 98 PC 's config is OK. I followed up by looking at the link you gave and feel I'm OK  so far as win 98 is concerned.

Vista however is a new OS for me  - I've only had it a couple of weeks  and haven't really got the hang of it yet.I got  to the point where I was asked to "add a printer". Then I was taken into the whole process of installing a printer (request to use original Printer installation disk to set up drivers etc !) At this point I stopped.It looked as if I was being asked to add printer to the laptop instead of identifying the existing printer (cabled to the desktop) as a shared printer. I'm going to look at this again but I'm not too hopeful.

If you have any further thoughts on this I would appreciate having them.

Meanwhile my thanks .

Veblen

Shandy

Intermediate
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 07:47:32 AM »
        You've done things in the wrong order on this step.
        You need first enable sharing of the printer on your desktop machine (which is connected directly to the printer) before associating the laptop with the printer via the desktop.
        I'm not sure how to do this on Vista so I've pasted some info from the windows help site on this. I hope this is what you are looking for:

To share a printer attached to your computer

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

Click the arrow button Picture of the arrow button next to Printer sharing to expand the section, click Turn on printer sharing, and then click Apply. Your printer is now shared on the network. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If you are using a computer connected to a workgroup, click the arrow button Picture of the arrow button next to Password protected sharing to expand this section, and then check to see if password-protected sharing is turned on or off. If it is turned on, only people with a user account and password for this computer will be able to access your printer. Turn this off if you want anyone on the network to be able to access the printer you are sharing. To change this setting, select the option you prefer, and then click Apply. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

veblen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »
          Hi
          I followed the steps you described.Seemed OK.

But when I come to print from the laptop the selection of printers offered does not include the printer(which I   specified for "sharing") attached to my desktop.

I shall look through Vista's Help --- there is a lot of it ! -- and hopefully find something to help me. I think I'm  near to having a solution.

Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
          You add a network printer on the laptop. This has to be done one time so the laptop can have the proper drivers for the network printer. Adter that, the network printer will be a selection or the default.

veblen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:34:16 AM »
            Thanks
            I'll try that
            Veblen

veblen

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:31 AM »
              Took me a while  to find installation disk.Vista didn't like it but finally installed it(?).
              While it went through the motions of printing no printing actually resulted.

After poking about a bit I found the "printed" files  in folder on the laptop. Also found out that  not all of the printers drivers' features are (eg print preview)available.Also got a screen message (Vista help) indicating that the file to run the printer's help files is not in vista but it lookas as if a third party workaround is available.

Also should have mentioned an error while installing("error  0x8036006e") !

I'm going to pause and rethink this project. Vista had a huge list of Epson printers which it supported . I should have been suspicious that mine (Epson Stylus Photo 870) was not on its list.

Also I am not clear to what extent the problems I am having has to do with Vista or  with the networking features.Also I must double check that the sharing feature is OK on the Windows 98 PC

It is disappointing to have got so close.

Veblen

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:00:32 PM »
              Welcome to the word of Windows Networking.   ::)