Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sites blocked  (Read 7924 times)

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Sites blocked
    « Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 05:39:28 AM »
    It looks like Internet Explorer 6.
    What happens, when you...
    Test your Flash Player here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

Download, and install Firefox: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    See, if same thing happens.

After reading some of the users reviews of Firefox3 over at CNET I would'nt go near it with a hundred foot pole.

Any other suggestions ?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 05:55:24 AM »
    After reading some of the users reviews of Firefox3 over at CNET I would'nt go near it with a hundred foot pole.

Firefox 2 then....

or, IE7.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »
    Well there's always Opera...

Another reason i no longer use CNet for a source... ::)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »
    err- I can't find a single user review that was written by a person at least semi-competent in the use of a browser at all.

for example:

I can't think of any pros. It tends to regard most downloads as pop-ups or malware of some kind and won't do it. Instructions for allowing downloads don't work. However, if a busy looking screen is good, then it's good.

what he should of written was:

I can't think of any pros. It tends to regard most downloads as pop-ups or malware of some kind and won't do it, and I'm too much of a idiot to see the obvious information bar at the top of the screen telling me what it did and how to continue. Instructions for allowing downloads were hard to read because they contained words with more then 4 letters.

or this passage:

F 3 refuses to load some sites and for unknown reasons it would not download Adobe Reader from adobe.com, reporting that "Firefox prevented this site (www.adobe.com) from asking you to install software on your computer."

should have been:

F 3 refuses to load some sites and for unknown reasons it would not download Adobe Reader from adobe.com, reporting that "Firefox prevented this site (www.adobe.com) from asking you to install software on your computer.". Being a complete fool I decided not to right-click on the bar to allow it to continue.

and the summary is:

I consider Firefox 3 to be non-functional, interfering with activities that earlier versions handled without problems. F 3 ought to be recalled from circulation until it has been rewritten with effectiveness in mind instead of the multiplication of cute and dubious add-ons and fancywork.

what he meant to write was:

I consider myself to be non-functional, and lack a basic grasp of simple concepts clearly documented in the readme and release notes. F 3 ought to be recalled from circulation until I have learned the basic concepts of computing and start interacting with the elements on the screen presented rather then drooling on my keyboard.

So you see, most of the reviews are flawed. the best part is I could do this for any user review for almost any software app.

Basically- if somebody is content with the software, they won't complain, but they also won't right a positive review; the only time a review get's written is if they have a minor gripe or they really love it.

the main problem here is you cannot possibly form an opinion about something before using it. It doesn't work that way.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 02:18:20 PM »
    I have been using FireFox for quite some time. There are a few reasons I use it:

• Addons. FireFox has some of the best extensions I have seen in a web browser, ever, period.
    • Spell Check. I frequently disarrange letters without realizing it. A red wavy bar is a pretty good signal I got something horribly wrong.
    • Download Manager. When I first started using FireFox, I didn't like the download manager, now I find how convenient it is, especially when I am downloading a whole bunch of things at once, like movies from the public domain, or my program updates.
    • Reliable. When it crashes, and believe me, just like any other browser, it does crash, it remembers what tabs I had opened. I can have as many as 20 tabs opened at once, sometimes more.
    • Customization. I find its nice that the about:config utility exists, which is great for setting advanced options, not to mention, the Preferences control panel is full of things I find relevant to what I need to change. Unlike IE, where it only has one section just filled with things you should never have to change.
    • Quick Links. I can just drag a page up to my quick link area when I want to save a webpage, and I can leave it there as long as I wish. Much more convenient than the favorites list.
    • Themes. I use the Firefox default theme, but, one thing I cant stand about IE7 is how funky it looks. I find that it makes it hard to use. FireFox's interface theme is simple enough to understand and easy enough to look at. Of course, this is purely aesthetics.

Now, I'm not saying that if you use Internet Explorer 7, you should use FireFox... but, you can give it a try. I personally found that Internet Explorer 7 starts up faster than FireFox versions two or three.
    If the pros outweigh the cons, and you decide you like it, stick with it.

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 03:55:26 PM »

Any other suggestions ?

The message you are conveying to us is:

1) My favorite site doesn't work.
      2) I don't want to upgrade my browser or use a new one.
      3) I can't be bothered to test my flash player!
      4) Please, ComputerHope, use your voodoo to magically make it work!

That's the same as saying something like this:

1) I use rabbit ears to watch TV.
      2) It's late February 2009
      3) MY SCREENZER IS BLANKORZ!
      4) I DON'T WANNA CONVERTER BOCKZ!
      5) Please, wave a magic wand to make my analog TV work with a digital signal!

Test your flash player like Broni said.  Failing that, get IE7, Firefox 2 or 3, or some browser that's compliant with the site.  We have no magic wands here that we can talk about without making the website Rated R or worse. :)
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:56 AM »

I believe the message I'm conveying is that I check things out before trying them and then come back here with the results and look for expert advice. 

killerb255  perhaps you should engage your brain and try reading...

"I may have to give up if Flashplayer is involved, I've tried many times but have never successfully downloaded Flashplayer"

How exactly do I test Flash when it's not on my computer ? 

Now thanks to BC_Programmer's expert advice I may try Firefox 2, Firefox 3 or IE7.   

killerb255 you should look for your magic wand, in future it may keep you from revealing just how dumb you are.   ::)

My thanks to  Zylstra. Broni. and BC_Programmer for all your help, it's nice knowing there are some intelligent people here a person can trust.   ;)

triad_cowboy

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:07 AM »
          just a quick question.......

could your security settings be set to high in internet obtions? this would prevent certian sites  from being able to display..........

I may be way off base here..........  but unless i mis it .... i dont think anyone has recommended checking these yet......

Also....these guys here are great... they give good solid advice...... it nice that you do your research.....  but  for these guys to be able  to help you... you must be willing to at least try to follow their suggestions  :) and remember.....  most anything you do can be undone just as easy as you did in windows XP

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »

Now thanks to BC_Programmer's expert advice I may try Firefox 2, Firefox 3 or IE7.   

If your still unsure about Firefox, you should go with IE7 first; then try to download the flashplayer again.

just remember- if you do try Firefox, it won't interfere with any IE settings, and you can easily remove it if it doesn't solve your problem or if you just don't like it.

I've actually gotten those errors a few times when I've reinstalled Windows XP; it comes with IE6; and I get several of those error boxes before I can navigate to Firefox.com or the MS download page for IE7.

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
            I believe the message I'm conveying is that I check things out before trying them and then come back here with the results and look for expert advice. 

...and when you get said advice, you look for reasons not to follow it.

killerb255  perhaps you should engage your brain and try reading...

...and ad hominem attacks aren't going to solve your problem either.  Not to mention, an ad hominem attack in reaction to criticism comes off as immature and conveying an inability to tell the difference between criticism of the facts/events and criticism of the person. 

I did not criticize you as a person--only the way in which you were handling the advice given.

"I may have to give up if Flashplayer is involved, I've tried many times but have never successfully downloaded Flashplayer"

How exactly do I test Flash when it's not on my computer ? 

Address why you're not able to download Flash Player first?  Elaborate on why you're not able to successfully download it?

Good.  As long as you're following someone's advice here and not stating excuses as to why their advice won't work, you're one step closer to solving the problem.  Bravo. :)

killerb255 you should look for your magic wand, in future it may keep you from revealing just how dumb you are.   ::)

Again, ad hominem attacks solve nothing.  See above.

My thanks to  Zylstra. Broni. and BC_Programmer for all your help, it's nice knowing there are some intelligent people here a person can trust.   ;)

Again, as long as you are actually following the advice given to you now rather than coming up with reasons not to, that's fine with me. 

What was that old saying?
            Some men have thousands of reasons why they cannot do what they want
            to; all they need is one reason why they can.
            -Willis Whitney
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

kelly1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 09:50:23 PM »
              Just an update on this topic, I recently downloaded flashplayer while on facebook and it appears to have been successful, I can now play the cbc news videos and the facebook videos. perhaps there was a glitch in the older versions that has now been fixed, thank you everyone for all your help and input I really appreciate your time.