Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect...For every program!  (Read 29719 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Side by Side Configuration is Incorrect...For every program!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:48 PM »
can you install it via Safe mode?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:43 PM »
    can you install it via Safe mode?

Nope,
    tried that...
    Same error

I tried using a sandbox to find, isolate, and copy every file created and installed during the Visual C++ installer on another Vista machine, and attempted to transfer them over,
    but...
    As everyone knows,
    you can't write to the WINsxs folder,
    so that idea fell flat on its face
    =[

So far, this community has provided the most help btw
    =D

Anyone else have any ideas?
    My father needs this computer fixed soon...
    And...
    An in place upgrade isn't happening soon...
    [seeing as to how I still need to find someone with the disc]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 11:24:20 PM »
    what about sfc /scannow?

Sorry, I'm starting to run out of ideas here.

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:34:11 PM »
      what about sfc /scannow?

Sorry, I'm starting to run out of ideas here.

It's ok,
      and I greatly appreciate the effort,
      I'll be contributing back to this great community. =)

as for the SFC...
      I ran it [several times] already, and it always detects corrupted files,
      but is unable to repair them.

CHKDSK as well,
      no changed, unfortunately.

I am working on getting the Vista CD for an in place recovery upgrade,
      but in the meantime,
      I'm open to new suggestions and will inform those interested on how they go.
      =)

Dias de verano

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 01:00:39 AM »
      I just didn't think that how I got to the problem would help,
      figured the problem itself was all you guys needed...

A lot of people do that, and it is SO annoying. Some even get weird with you when you ask for the missing information and write stuff like "Just tell me the answer! Do you know or not?" etc. This often happens when they have a reason for keeping quiet about what exactly it was they were doing before the problem started. Sometimes they get curiously unspecific and write stuff like

tools for many different operations,

As if we had never heard of Google or hacking kits.  ::)

Basically, "DarkLord",  ::)  you downloaded NOTORIOUS hacking tools which only come from (very) dubious sources and guess what? You got hacked! This thread needs editing by a mod so that names of hacking tools are removed so that script kiddies cannot get ideas.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:17:29 AM by Dias de verano »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:24 AM »
      ahhh...

reading it again I'm surprised it didn't "click" for me either.

hacker toolsets almost ALWAYS come with a free infection. Which is Ironic, if you think about it.

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »
      after some "experimenting"

My father needs this laptop for his work...
      and it has been out of commission for almost a week now,

Why do people always want to "Experiment" on comps that they don't want to or shouldn't mess up?

Any serious person that wants to "experiment" with a comp should have one that they don't mind screwing up. If they don't have an extra one then they shouldn't try to fix it if it isn't broke.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

Dias de verano

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:14 AM »
      ahhh...

reading it again I'm surprised it didn't "click" for me either.

hacker toolsets almost ALWAYS come with a free infection. Which is Ironic, if you think about it.

The people who download them are, by doing that, self-identifying as folks who just always wanted to be in a bot net... kinda funny really

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
      A lot of people do that, and it is SO annoying. Some even get weird with you when you ask for the missing information and write stuff like "Just tell me the answer! Do you know or not?" etc. This often happens when they have a reason for keeping quiet about what exactly it was they were doing before the problem started. Sometimes they get curiously unspecific and write stuff like

As if we had never heard of Google or hacking kits.  ::)

Basically, "DarkLord",  ::)  you downloaded NOTORIOUS hacking tools which only come from (very) dubious sources and guess what? You got hacked! This thread needs editing by a mod so that names of hacking tools are removed so that script kiddies cannot get ideas.

(Prog. Name) is notorious? I honestly have no clue what it does, other than the name which tells me it merges to files together...and I have no clue how that can even work either...
      Where's MagicSpeed?
      Quote from: 'matt'
      He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

Dias de verano

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:09 PM »
      (Prog. Name) is notorious? I honestly have no clue what it does, other than the name which tells me it merges to files together...and I have no clue how that can even work either...

an exejoiner is a tool for wrapping a virus and a common program like a media player together and disguising the whole thing so it looks like the familiar program. Icon, name, everything. The victim runs the media player and at the same time the hidden virus program (the "payload") is also run silently. Remember all those "how do I run a program silently?" threads on here?

You have to remember we aren't talking about real hackers here, we're talking about spotty teenage dorks who fancy being hackers but don't actually have any programming skills worth mentioning, and also who are too dumb or lazy to get any. Real hackers don't download kits from torrent sites. Only stupid dumb kids do that. And the real hackers know that, so they seed the hacking kits with trojans. Ha ha. Old motto: "If you want to sup with the devil, use a very long spoon."

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
        an exejoiner is a tool for wrapping a virus and a common program like a media player together and disguising the whole thing so it looks like the familiar program. Icon, name, everything. The victim runs the media player and at the same time the hidden virus program (the "payload") is also run silently. Remember all those "how do I run a program silently?" threads on here?

You have to remember we aren't talking about real hackers here, we're talking about spotty teenage dorks who fancy being hackers but don't actually have any programming skills worth mentioning, and also who are too dumb or lazy to get any. Real hackers don't download kits from torrent sites. Only stupid dumb kids do that. And the real hackers know that, so they seed the hacking kits with trojans. Ha ha. Old motto: "If you want to sup with the devil, use a very long spoon."

Now I understand where you're coming from, but if you're applying it to me...Just, no.

For one, I got the set off the site itself, and I'm 99% sure that the author of the program wouldn't want to harm his reputation by deciding to lace his long-running tool-set with trojans...just to eliminate the Skiddies. Yeah, real "notorious".
        I downloaded the tools, yes. Am I trying to go around being a 1337 hack3r thinking I own the world with some port scanning tools?
        Ha, no...

I'm interested in hacking, so I figured I would start out with some simple tools and see how they work, etc...
        In comes the problem,
        instead of taking the minute or two to write a quick batch command that would display some simple message to verify that the binding of the EXE's worked...I just threw together the first two EXE's I saw, which happened to be those two installers.

I am 99% sure that this isn't an computer infection,
        just a case of corrupted system files that I am attempted to restore...

So to answer these questions-
        I'm not a hacker, I couldn't care less about Botnets, and "Dias de verano", if you have nothing better to do than to sit here and run your mouth [or rather, fingers] off about some "assumption" when in reality you have no idea what you're talking about, I would assume that you are just as bad [if not worse] than these "spotty teenage dorks", or "stupid dumb kids" [redundant much?] that you seem to despise so much. If you're not here to help or contribute, why bother posting at all? Seriously?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
        I am 99% sure that this isn't an computer infection,
        just a case of corrupted system files that I am attempted to restore...

Then your sorted then.

and "Dias de verano", if you have nothing better to do than to sit here and run your mouth [or rather, fingers] off about some "assumption" when in reality you have no idea what you're talking about, I would assume that you are just as bad [if not worse] than these "spotty teenage dorks", or "stupid dumb kids" [redundant much?] that you seem to despise so much.

Difference being he actually knows what he's doing.

DarkLord1020

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15:37 PM »
          Then your sorted then.

Difference being he actually knows what he's doing.

Not exactly sorted out,
          I know what the problem is...
          I just need help fixing it, but apparently some people here don't take kindly to newcommers.

What I mean by he doesn't know what he is talking about is that he has no idea what my intentions were by downloading said toolset,
          and don't like how he barged in, labeled me as some "stupid dumb" lowlife skiddie and such...
          I simply came here for help...aaannd...yeah

Back to be being on-topic rather than sit here bashing each other [seeing as to how more than half of the people who get this problem never seem to get it resolved due to lack of consistent posting]

I managed to borrow a Vista Home Premium 64-bit disc with SP1 slipstreamed into it,
          and attempted to perform the in place upgrade.

Now obviously, seeing as to how I already have SP1 installed on my machine, I cannot "upgrade".
          I then tried to uninstall SP1, but...None of the methods so far have worked,
          -It doesn't come up in Uninstall System Updates
          - I can't roll back far enough
          - and the command line entry referencing the C:\Temp folder doesn't work because I have cleaned it out since the update...

So instead of sitting here bashing each other... can't we just try to solve this problem not only for myself, but for the countless others I'm sure will end up with a similar problem? [Seriously, so many people, yet no "simple" fix] :||x

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »
          backup format and reinstall.

That's a fairly surefire cure.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 08:36:37 PM »
          If you already had SP1 installed and the SP1 slipstream DVD didn't work than the slipstream was not done properly...
          What app was used on the slipstream DVD ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "