Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem: Watching Video Files  (Read 14333 times)

blwol

Problem: Watching Video Files
« on: May 28, 2004, 04:59:26 PM »
I have a problem playing video (MPEG, AVI, MOV) files.  I have also the same problem watching TV from my TV card.  About every second the picture slows down almost to a stop (stagnation) and it picks up and slows down again.

What could be the problem?

I am running:
Windows XP Professional
2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4
1 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Videocard
Intel D845EBG2 Motherboard

Should I upgrade to a faster videocard?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

bRe: Problem: Watching Video Files
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:00:49 PM »
    blwol...well it looks like you have a decent processor and sufficient ram......is this problem something that has just started ? Is your vid card is designed to watch tv ? do you have the correct drivers for your vid card......and how about if you D/l and watch a vid file from inter net ....is it ok ? How about your sound is it ok or does it lag as well .

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

blwol

Re: Problem: Watching Video Files
    « Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 06:07:33 PM »
    I have always have this problem.  I've updated the drivers periodically.  When I watch the videos, the CPU Usage is in the 40% range.  Watching DVDs is fine, though.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
      Have you researched the specs on your vid card ......maybe your pushing it beyond what it was designed to do.

Good luck.....

dl65  ???

blwol

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
      Pushed what?  I haven't done anything to it other than update the software for it.

When I watch a video though, one way to stop the stagnation is that I change the Set Priority of the program running from "Normal" to "Realtime" (in Windows Task Manager, Processes tab).  I don't think this is safe because I am using all my resources for it and it may crash the computer at some point.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 12:16:25 AM »
        blwol....when you watch tv through your TV (vid) card exactly how do you get the cable signal into your computer ?

let us know
        dl65  ???