Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Game keeps crashing  (Read 4387 times)

TriLamda

Game keeps crashing
« on: May 10, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
Hi ppl's does anyone know if 'Star Trek: New Worlds' will play on XP? It's an old game which I recently made a back-up copy of, I actually installed the game from the copy and it seem to install fine but after I select a race and level and click ok to start playing it crashes to the desktop and I receive the 'STNW.exe has encountered a problem and will close' box >:( I uninstalled it and installed it with the original CD but it still crashes at the same spot???

Would that be a issue with XP or could the back-up copy have pooch screwed my system up ???

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 09:02:35 AM by TriLamda »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Game keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:17:45 AM »
The game probably isn't compatible... Can you find the system requirements? Any patches on the internet to fix it?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

TriLamda

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:37:03 AM »
Sys requirements: (My system spec's are in brackets)
Minimum:
- Win 95           (XP sp2)
- DirectX 6.1     (DirectX 9c)
- P2 300 MHz   (P4 3 Gig)
- 16Meg Vid     (128 Meg Radeon 9600XT Extreme)

The spec's only say a minimum of Win 95 so I dont know if it is compatible or not ???

Man I haven't played it in so long and was looking forward to kicking some a**...

Btw the last time I played it was on a Win 98 machine...

Cheers,

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 10:55:28 AM »
Try running the game in compatibility mode... or look for patches on the internet...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

TriLamda

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:29:05 AM »
Thanks for the advise Flame, after doing a lengthy search I have found out that it is not compatible with XP, I was unable to get it to run in compatibility mode either although someone clams that it will run if set to "Win 2000" but that did not help :-/

As Interplay had gone bust there were no patches avaliable either >:( Doesn't matter I'm going to build a machine and install an older version of windows so that I can play older non compatible programs. Thanks again...

Cheers,