Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to restore Windows Vista  (Read 4090 times)

PaperBlack

Topic Starter

Starter

How to restore Windows Vista
    « on: April 18, 2009, 02:31:38 AM »
    I just got my new laptop pc last week and everything was absolutely fine until today when I restarted my computer after installing IE8 (and foolishly a program meant for 32bit Windows only) and then the worst thing possible happened. I got a black screen telling me that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardwar or software change might be the cause." And it says it's missing the partmgr.sys file. It tells me to use the Windows installation disc to fix it. However, my PC didn't come with such disc. It only came with recovery discs(it's split into 2 parts). I'm not entirely sure how to use that. My friend told me to simply download the  official Windows Recovery disc from a torrent, burn it and then use it to boot my computer. It's supposed to fix my computer without deleting my HDD. So I did. However, my computer did not boot the CD when I restarted it. Someone told me that it's because I might have to configure my BIOS to boot with the DVD drive first when starting. I have no clue how to do that. And I can't even access Windows at all because Safe Mode doesn't work either. I'm completely lost and very VERY distressed as I really don't have the money to take it to a technician and there are some important files in there that I didn't get the chance to backup yet.

So my questions are:
    1) What should be the best thing for my to do? The recovery program I downloaded seems great as a lot of people have had success with it. But my computer won't run it for some reason.
    2) If that doesn't work, should I use the two-disc recovery that my manufacturer supplied? I tried that as well. Again, my computer didn't read it when starting.

My computer info:
    Manufacturer/Model: ASUS N80 Vn-X5 Laptop
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.4ghz)
    Ram : 4Gb
    GPU : Nvidia Geforce 9650M GT

PaperBlack

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: How to restore Windows Vista
      « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:59:09 AM »
      *UPDATE*
      Okay, well I figured out how to boot first with the DVD. I tried both startup recovery and system restore. Neither of those two worked for some reason. This is really fustrating and scary for me. I really don't want to do a complete reinstall nor do I think I am capable of doing so. I stink with computers.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »
      Reboot to the Recovery Console using the .iso you made...
      After it finishes loading type in fixboot and hit Enter...
      Remove the DVD and re-boot.
      If this doesn't work repeat the above process and type in fixmbr and hit Enter...
      Again remove the DVD and re-boot.
      Let us know...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »
      I got a black screen telling me that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardwar or software change might be the cause." And it says it's missing the partmgr.sys file.
      What is the full, exact message?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:32:23 AM »
      Reboot to the Recovery Console using the .iso you made...
      After it finishes loading type in fixboot and hit Enter...
      Remove the DVD and re-boot.
      If this doesn't work repeat the above process and type in fixmbr and hit Enter...
      Again remove the DVD and re-boot.
      Let us know...

Ooooops...Vista. Nevermind.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PaperBlack

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestions! I've fixed it using the Restore option from the recovery disc. But I'm scared that it might happen again. What could've caused it? The error was due to a missing or corrupted partmgr.sys file.
        It happened right after I installed IE8 and restarted. Also, when it was shutting off, Windows Update was installing something. And previously, I've accidently installed a program that was for 32bit Windows, not 64bit. Or could it be a virus/spyware?

someone else told me that it could be the fault of external USB devices. I have an USB mouse plugged in and a lot of times Vista shows a message saying that it's unable to recognize the USB device attached, even though the mouse is working fine.
        « Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:53:41 PM by PaperBlack »

PSD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:51:55 AM »
          how did you fix it? I have the same problem. I also downloaded the same recovery program but cant get the computer to boot to it. Help!!!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
          PSD
          You need to start your own topic.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
          PaperBlack,
          In the first post you said you had it just a week. If so, may I ask you his. Why did you not return it to the store and have them repair it under warranty?
          IME it is best to take early action if you suspect that a new and expensive product has some defect.