Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unusual lag.  (Read 2714 times)

Llamanator

Topic Starter

Rookie

unusual lag.
    « on: April 11, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
    Heeey.
    I was at a LAN party once, and i accidently pulled out my power plug from the extension cable.  :'(
    Comp shuts down (obvi), then i try to reboot it, nothing happens.  I let it sit there for about 30 minutes, then i try to boot it up again ,and it boots up.  Now, the comp is the slowest POS ever.  Like, performance is soo bad its horrible (i ran warcraft III on the lowest settings and i got about 15-40 fps.)
    So i formatted comp, reinstalled vista.  never been the same as it used to be.  Its a lot better now, but it still lags a lot for some reason. 
    For example, this game (dota) usually takes me 6 seconds to load in the loading screen, now it takes me 9 (its a big difference FYI).

Sooo... any1 have any ideas on how to solve for this if there is a solution.  My rig is

AMD Phenom II X4 940
    2x ATI Radeon 4870 X2 XFX in crossfire.
    4 gigs 1066 mhz ram
    DKA790GX Platinum mobo

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: unusual lag.
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:27:35 AM »

Llamanator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
      Hur, i didnt have any of these problems before my comp went weird on me.
      And wud disk defrag make a difference?  i mean, i just formatted my comp.  Wud it still do sometin?

Custom-IT

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »
        I shoudn't think a defrag would make much difference to performance if you have only just re-installed your system. However, it's always good to get a defrag in before your system gets too full.

If your fps performance has dropped that considerably there is definately a more serious problem somewhere...

Have your graphics cards been over-clocked at all?

What frame rates would you normally expect to get and what are you getting at the moment?

Are all of your motherboard drivers, graphics card drivers and directx up to date?

Another thought - Have a check in your BIOS settings to make sure your graphics cards are running at PCI-E x16 speed...
        Custom I.T. Computer Services
        www.custom-it.co.uk

Llamanator

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
          Naw, I over clocked a little bit to try it out, but I did not over clock a lot.  Only by a couple of MHZ.  If i did overclock, wud it make a big difference?  Right now, my FPS is a little lower than where it should be.  Not enough to make a difference(im talking after the format).  Now the really big problem i have is not so much with FPS, but more with speed.  Like,  When I play l4d now, the levels used to load before i can say left 4 dead.  Now im always that last loading the next campaign, and it takes a long time.  When I play the game is choppy at times, and it lags. 
          NONE OF THIS EVER HAPPENED BEFORE I UNPLUGGED COMPUTER FROM WALL  :'(

I did a disk defrag.  My comp sped up A LOT... for like a day.  Then after it went slow again.
          Then, I seriously thought that somehow my harddrive was toast.  So i went to seagate website (my harddrive is seagate, durrrr).  Downloaded the hard drive test software, ran it, and it said my hard drive is fine.  Im like... HUUURRR!!!!  >:(

Imma check my bios in a secondm but im pretty sure its 16x.  Yarp, everything is up to date. 

PS. Sorry for long response time.   I thought this post was dead, so i stopped checking it  :P.  Ill make sure to check it more regularly.   ;)