Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mac total shut down  (Read 9858 times)

adamboyer86

Mac total shut down
« on: April 21, 2009, 01:16:57 AM »
 ???ok.. I have and eMac. I know that it's kinda old, but that's besides the point...  this computer never had any problems until i decided to get a video ipod.  To support the ipod, i had to upgrade from its original running system, to mac-osx (leopard)...  $100 and a new memory card later, my ipod works great.  the problem is, my computer doesn't....  I didn't notice any problems until a couple months later... NOW!, I cant even load a single page or program until the previous one is done loading. (If i do anything while a file or internet page is loading, the computer locks up and i have to reboot). It is frustrating to even look at this computer. I'm not stupid with computers, but i really don't understand what  this thing is doing!  Please help... I want my computer back!..  ???

Alias

Rookie

Re: Mac total shut down
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »
    I think my old mac was an Emac too. the one with the 360 super swivel monitor??? Sorry mate I think this computer is teh deadzorz. (translation: The computer is dead most likely) My mac died, :(. So i got a PC.
    Try taking it to your local computer store. but, if you have any smart computer friends, take it to them.
    I R TEH MASTAR ODST!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
    a new memory card later

By this, do you refer to new RAM in the system?

The fact that the computer won't "multitask" applications (locks up if one is initiated until another is done) makes me think it's a problem with the Random Access Memory.

Unless, of course, it's a problem with the OSX installation, itself...

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:46:21 AM »
    ???ok.. I have and eMac. I know that it's kinda old, but that's besides the point...  this computer never had any problems until i decided to get a video ipod.  To support the ipod, i had to upgrade from its original running system, to mac-osx (leopard)...  $100 and a new memory card later, my ipod works great.  the problem is, my computer doesn't....  I didn't notice any problems until a couple months later... NOW!, I cant even load a single page or program until the previous one is done loading. (If i do anything while a file or internet page is loading, the computer locks up and i have to reboot). It is frustrating to even look at this computer. I'm not stupid with computers, but i really don't understand what  this thing is doing!  Please help... I want my computer back!..  ???

I would have highly recommended upgrading to OS 10.4 (Tiger) instead of 10.5 (Leopard) in your case.  Leopard requires some pretty new hardware, and quite frankly, your emac is very old.

However, what's done is done.  I would recommend getting some more RAM for your system.  What does yours have currently?