Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: You can re insstall XP on a Dell even if you lost the CD.  (Read 2499 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
You can re insstall XP on a Dell even if you lost the CD.
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
You can re insstall XP on a Dell even if you lost the CD.
Without breaking the intent of the law.
Dell and some other manufacturers  have been shipping Desltpps and Laptops with XP installed, but no CD for repair of an badly damaged system.
The photo below is from a vendor on eBay who sells this for the express purpose of doing repair work on a Dell computer that has a legal, but damaged XP system on it.
Click  to see the image of the Dell recovery CD for CP sp3
http://headservices.net/ebay/items/xpsp3/xpprosp3.JPG
The price is about the same. as from Dell.
The eBay people are well aware of this. It is not pirate software.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Using-a-Dell-Recovery-CD-to-Install-Windows-XP_W0QQugidZ10000000002153942QQ_trksidZp4295.c0.m328

I put this here as reference so I would not have to say this again.
The moderator can edit, delete or do whatever with this.

lostcoast

Hopeful
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: You can re insstall XP on a Dell even if you lost the CD.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »

Its just a media CD and if you have a valid CD Key then it should be fully legal
I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

midsail

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: You can re insstall XP on a Dell even if you lost the CD.
    « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »
    Yes I use this type of media all the time at my work. This type of media comes with all shipped Dell systems all the time. U don't even need a key for this type of reinstall as long as it is a Dell.  Check to see if u r still under warranty with Dell and they will ship u a free set including application CD.  I do not know the price on ebay. U can also purchase a set from Dell for about $15 (US). Write back and let us know?