Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power hook up.  (Read 2265 times)

Dweebster1957

Topic Starter

Starter

Power hook up.
    « on: April 25, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
    Hello.
    I'm having a real problem (not unusual)  :-\     Recently I loaded a stripped down version of window XP pro onto my daughters computer.  The O/S was Win 2000 pro & I thought  that since it was an old system, that it was time for a  upgrade.  I wiped her system with Boot Nuke and then installed the Tiny XP.
    Things seemed to be ok for about a day then she found she couldn't access the net, I checked out the BIOS to make sure the boot sequence started form the CD rom and then tried to reload it.

Long story short, all it does now is do the "Verifying DMI pool data then goes to needing the system disk to boot.

I checked inside the computer itself & noted that the power cables that say Master & Slave were unplugged.
    My question is: How do I know which to hook up to what?   ???

I know, I know,  :-\   I shouldn't have tried to use that stripped down XP, but it worked good on mine, so I don't know why it didn't work on hers.

Any suggestions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  :)

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Power hook up.
      « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »
      I assume the power cable was from the HDD. Check the HDD if should have a detail label show a jumper setting has to which is master and slave. The cables should be IDE, connect the HDD to the closes connector (the first) if it as two connector on the IDE cable. Lastly u can always go the HDD website and it should tell u all the infor to the HDD.

Dweebster1957

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »
        Thank you for the responce, I'll check that out. :)
         lol expect to hear form me again  (|

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 02:34:53 AM »
        Dweebster57, a few points:

I don't know how you got your "stripped down" Windows XP, but it may not have been legal. This site operates a strict "no help for piracy or breaking MS license terms" policy, so unfortunately you are on your own in that regard.

Quote from a moderator at the EeeUser forum:

Tiny XP is illegal. Any further discussion of it will get this thread locked and people advocating it may be banned.

However, ignoring the OS for the moment... (Others will decide on this)

If you were able to use Boot Nuke to wipe the OS on your daughter's computer, then at least one HDD was installed and working.

If you were able to load the "stripped down" Windows XP, then the same applied.

If things were alright for about a day and your daughter was able to surf the web then likewise.

So your daughter found she could not surf the web. That made you decide to reinstall the OS from CD? Why?

Anyhow, the bit that confuses me is where you say "power cables that say Master and Slave". The power cables for IDE hard drives end in 4 pin white Molex connectors that look like this

It does not matter which one goes on which drive. Do you mean they have "Master" and "Slave" written on them? I have never seen this before.

But the big riddle for me is that your badass pirate Windows may be capable of many things, but it definitely cannot unplug cables overnight! Either somebody has opened the case and disconnected some cables, or else you are confused about what is what.