Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound isn't working, please help :)  (Read 2627 times)

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Sound isn't working, please help :)
    « on: May 05, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
    About 4 days ago, I went to unplug my speakers from my computer to hook my ipod up to them. when I went to plug them back in a few hours later, I realized my sound no long worked. The speakers work fine (I tested them), I even tried hooking the sound up to my monitor (which is actually a HD tv, so the speakers are built in, which also work) and still no luck.

All drivers are working properly, with the nice like green check marks next to all my drivers. I also tried to update my drivers to see if that would help, no luck. My sound is not on mute, and its even registering on my computer that sound is being played (such as I play itunes, and the green sound bar goes up and down).

Sound card... no idea. I'm assuming it is built into my motherboard because its not giving me an exact name, but I updated the drivers again so everything is up to date.

I also found this, thinking this could be my problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937077

However, whenever I try to download it (both the genuine version and the x64 version) it says that "the update does not apply to your system"...

Ho hum. I hope someone can help!

Mulreay

Re: Sound isn't working, please help :)
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
    To start with the basics.. have you accidentially damaged your audio jack?

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:49:59 PM »
      I actually was just thinking that after I posted this, but how would i know if I have damaged it or not?

I have my headset plugged in, and that seems to work just fine, so if that were the case it would only be the sound jack.

**edit** the mic on my headset works, not the actual earphones though. sorry, should have been clear on that
      « Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:49:45 PM by tribearatops »

Mulreay

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:17 PM »
      So your headphones work but speakers don't?

dr_iton

Intermediate
      • Reading jeopardizes stupidity?
        • PERSONAL WEB SITE
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »
      Try this it will help you, i think:
      Go to Start menu and chose Run, write this command:
      services.msc, press enterIn new window on the right panel find Windows Audio and double click on it, when you see the new window under Windows Audio Properties in page General down to the Startup type make shore it is Automatic and in the part Services status click on Start than Apply, OK and the problem is solved.
      Cheers.

A MARATHON BEGIN'S WITH A FIRST STEP.

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
        went to the services.msc, the windows audio properties was set to the automatic and was started. I even turnned it off, started it back up again and restarted my computer. still nothing >.<

and yes, the mic still works, the jack for the mic is right next to the audio one as well too.

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 02:59:59 PM »
        Do you get sounds through your internal speakers?? If it's a laptop of course...

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »
          i run on a desktop, so I don't have internal speakers.

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »
          Do headphones work?

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »
            the headphones, speakers, connection cords and my monitor (that has speakers built in... its actually a 22" HD tv) all work fine, no defects. I have tested all of them, it isnt the external devices and I'm almost positive on that one.

Mulreay

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
            vista, Go to start, Click control panel, then choose hardware and sound,Then choose sound,Under playback there should be a green check mark on the Realtek High Definition Audio, and should say working.

Click once on the speaker picture, Now choose the option configure in the bottom left of window pane, then from the options pick quadraphonic, then click next and make sure that the options front left and right and surround speakers are checked, then click next and finish.

find the audio device icon, so what to do is go back to control panel, sound and under the playback tab, it told me that 'no audio devices are installed' and so i 'right click' and select/check 'show disabled devices' and the audio device icon appear and then i just enable it and it work again. so hope that help.

tribearatops

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
              as soon as I tried that, still didnt work... until i heard a "ding" noise my computer makes when I reset something!

success! it works again! thank you so so much :-D

Mulreay

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
              Just click on my thank button  8)  lol  glad I helped mate