Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard Video failed/add agp or pci video  (Read 3477 times)

jlitwiller

Onboard Video failed/add agp or pci video
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:57:25 PM »
I have a Compaq Presario and from the beep codes I have determined that the onboard video has failed. 1 long and 2 short. I have removed everything and reseated it. I tried adding a PCI and an AGP video card but I can not get any response. I am guessing there is a setting for what video card to use first but since I can not get anything to show up on the screen I can not change any settings. I can not find any jumpers to disable the onboard video. The keyboard lights come on and there is hard drive activity so I think everything is functional. How do I get in to change the BIOS settings without a monitor? I am out of ideas. Please help

Computer_Commando

Re: Onboard Video failed/add agp or pci video
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:18:10 PM »
Are you saying this Compaq has onboard video AND an AGP slot?  Never seen one with both.  If PCI video card is used, it must be located in slot next to AGP slot or the PCI slot closest to the CPU.

jlitwiller

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:39:39 PM »
This is a Compaq Presario S4300NX with onboard integrated Intel Extreme Graphics that does not work any more. It has 1 AGP 8x slot and 3 PCI slots. I tried all the slots. I tried theonly jumper on the motherboard and I think it reset the BIOS. The beeping stopped but nothing else works. I am ready to give up.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 10:49:22 AM »
I forgot about Compaq's use of the Intel Extreme Graphics.  I have no idea what makes it operate.  It's onboard video but not AGP or PCI.  It somehow uses main memory for video memory, but you have no control on how much it uses.  

Since the beeping stopped, you getting closer.  Try installing the AGP video card, reset the BIOS, and then power up.