Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: streaming not working on new wireless setup  (Read 2497 times)

Altezza

Topic Starter

Beginner
    streaming not working on new wireless setup
    « on: May 02, 2009, 09:39:37 AM »
    hello  :)

My roommate just set up a wireless router so I could use my laptop in another part of the house. I have a Compaq Presario 2500, using Windows XP, Professional, Version 2002, SP2. Intel (R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz, 2.59 GHz 448 MB of RAM. The router is a "Netgear" system (Rangemax Wireless -N Notebook Adapter). If more info about my computer or the router are necessary, please let me know.

Anyway, the problem is that although my roommate assured me that using this system would be as fast as being physically connected, it appears to not be the case. A little slowdown is acceptable, but despite the happy little note on the Netgear box that claims "Ideal for surfing, Internet phone calls, streaming video and music, and online gaming," I cannot watch any vids on YouTube, get any streaming music, and we can just forget about games. They take forever and a day to load, and then they just don't work.

I have never used a wireless system before, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to start troubleshooting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

midsail

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: streaming not working on new wireless setup
      « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
      Although u might have fast wireless network. Check your NIC spec's. See if it is 100mbs or 1 gig. With wireless network try changing channels. Let us know.

Altezza

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
        Hi and thanks for your response!

Where do I find that information (the NIC specs)?

Also, yesterday, I did a few things that helped, at least superficially. I went thru the programs installed and deleted some things. It appears that once I got rid of Ad-Sense, things ran a lot better. I'm assuming there was some kind of conflict with something else running? Anyway, I can now watch YouTube vids (tho very choppy...) and listen to music, but when I try to visit a site like Kongregate.com to play a game, things come to a screeching halt. (Also have probs with Facebook...things slow waaaay down and CPU pops up to 100%)

Have run SuperAntiSpyware scan, and a Hijack This scan, but things haven't changed. If anything, seems worse after I ran the SAS scan...is that possible?

??? 

midsail

Hopeful
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:33:54 AM »
          Some programs r more intensive then others. I see in your posting , u have less then 512MB of ram. U will need more Ram. Install has much RAM as the LT can handle. Or at the very least 1 1/2 gig. Ram is very cheap now a days. To check the spec of the NIC u might have to refer to your owner manual or go the HP.com select Compaq Presario 2500 and it will show u the spec's for your LT.