Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Vista worth it?  (Read 31983 times)

Mulreay

Re: Is Vista worth it?
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2009, 07:45:22 AM »

It's ignorant, false comments like that which have given Vista a bad name. That's almost as bad as the sleep-mode comments earlier.

I here you there. As I said earlier there is nothing fundamentally wrong with Vista. I like it I find it user friendly and as long as you update it regular then there are no real issues.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2009, 03:30:36 AM »
    the only reason it stays user friendly, not that far from linux then
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #107 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:23 AM »
    the only reason it stays user friendly, not that far from linux then

Linux is no where near being user friendly and has nothing to do with the price of cookies.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2009, 05:05:07 AM »
       ::) thats what I am saing, with out the patches vista is nothing more.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mr_Mister

Rookie

« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2009, 08:43:56 AM »
        linux is king.. hands down..  anyone with basic computer knowledge can run it.. especially distributions such as ubuntu and fedora.. 

as far as windows OS's go i think vista is great as a normal home/family computer..
        my family runs vista on the desktop and they run simple word proccessing software and surf the internet and download music here and there.. vista is very visually stimulating for them, and they do hardly anything on there.  therefore vista is great for that use.. anything else i would use linux or windows XP *personal preference*     

*note* all users are running Vista OS using VM server

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »
          ?????

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #111 on: May 26, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »
          anyone with basic computer knowledge can run it

I don't disagree that they can run Linux easily, but getting it set up can be beyond the average user.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

milesman

Beginner

« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
            Thing about Linux is that it's compatibility issues... The hardware they use does not have many vendor's. Also, Windows & Macintosh software is not compatible. That's expected though... but most software is designed for Windows or Macintosh and not Linux.
            (| Cha Cha Cha!

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #113 on: May 26, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »
            linux is king.. hands down.. 

I think you will find that any gamer would disagree with this statement.

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux. I've used Fedora since Fedora Core 3. Xandros is another distro I like. But I'm a big gamer, and the lack of mainstream games for Linux is a letdown and the main reason I don't go 100% Linux.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #114 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »
            Absolutely! 

Plus, a lot of little things.  I have to say that the Windows drivers for my HP printer offer a great deal more flexibility than the last set of Linux drivers which I used in Ubuntu.  (Granted, this was a couple of years ago.)  It was a major accomplishment to be able to simply print via Linux, much less change resolutions, etc.

It's not bashing - I, too, am a large Linux fan.

2x3i5x

Expert
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #115 on: May 26, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
            Linux isn't bad but it's the fact that windows got so much stuff I need or want to use ....

and typing the code into the terminal on linux? Don't like having to do that every time you wanna do something a little more technical....

Windows is more or less push and click for me if you got the installer.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #116 on: May 26, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »
            That's the huge Windows advantage - ease of installation.  Linux is catching up, year by year...but Windows 2000 was probably the last Windows edition to suffer real driver problems.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
              next to vista

Idiosyncrasy

Rookie

« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:14 PM »
                The train of thought for this post just kept getting derailed and somehow managed to get back on the tracks, like it jumped a gap in a bridge or something.

Also, I use Vista Home Premium. Other than the blue screens (because I'm a newb and didn't install latest graphics drivers), I have experienced NO problems with Vista..gaming or otherwise.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »
                  Isnt it great.   ::) you probably should.