Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Vista worth it?  (Read 31800 times)

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Is Vista worth it?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »
I use it at work and rather like it.  It's not that terribly different from XP, and has some nice features.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »
    some is the key word.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 04:07:21 PM »
      I hated it. I had so many problems with it, and for some reason i had more Blu screens in it than XP. (All hardware is recent.)

The dumbest problem I had was explorer would crash on me everytime I typed the letter V into the serch box in the search menu. What a dumb issue...

Networking was a nightmare. Two computers using Vista, 1 router. one could connect just fine, both macs could no prob, but the second copy could NOT pull an IP address. Reinstalling did crap. I had to go into the registry, and edit mulitple GUID ids to get the *censored* thing to work. Half way through, it just started working.

I hate Vista.
      Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
      I've been using Vista on my desktop since 2007, on my laptop since last year, and never had a single, serious problem.

Griff

Intermediate

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
        I've been using Vista on my desktop since 2007, on my laptop since last year, and never had a single, serious problem.

Consider yourself luky...   :-\

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
        Really? I work with computers every day, so I'm pretty familiar with what works, and what doesn't.

Griff

Intermediate

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 04:32:48 PM »
          It really does seem like Vista is a hit or miss with some people. I know plenty of experts who hate Vista, while other seem to like it.

I don't know why the experiances with vista are so mixed. When a basic user can have an easier time than a certified user... it's just weird...

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
          People who bash Vista used it for exactly 3 days....
          Everyone else gets it...
          BTW if you hated Vista you may as well skip Win7 entirely and any other Microsoft release for the next 20 years......

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 04:41:56 PM »
          Surf some computer boards, going back to 2001/2002, and you'll see very same Vista haters, saying very same thing about XP.
          There was adjustment jump from Win 98 to XP, as it's from XP to Vista.

Then, adding to what patio said, I can assure you, most people, who don't like Vista, never used it (saw it on uncle's computer), used it for couple of days, or had it on machines, which didn't meet Vista hardware requirements. The latter are probably most common.
          "Oh, man, my Vista is so slow, I hate it..."
          "What kind of computer do you have?"
          "Oh, 1.5GHz processor, 15GB hard drive, and 512MB of RAM".

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
          ...and, there is really not such a jump from Vista to Win 7, so Vista users will have it easy way.

Griff

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
            Heh.

I used Vista for about 5 months before I trashed it thank you.

I have had Win7 ever since the Beta (just installed RC yesterday) and I can say it's 100 times better than what Vista is. I LOVE Windows 7 so far.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »
            So, everybody's happy now.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »
              I had to put up with it for a while to so dont think that I didnt.  It was down there at the main campus last year and my sister has it.
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

hot dog

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »
              When I first used Vista a couple of years ago I thought it sucked.  I believe it was because I didn't know enough about computers to begin with.  I used Win98 and WinXP before that but not extensively enough to know the difference.

I bought a computer (July 2007) that had Vista Home Basic installed and it had only 512 MB of RAM.....bare minimum.... 256 MB onboard Video Ram, Trialware up the a**, and no anti-malware program installed worth a heck.  Naturally, it didn't run too well.  Windows locked up all the time.  But as I learned the basics, I realized the thing needed more RAM and a good cleansing in general & defrag.................I actually called eMachines and they had me uninstall/reinstall the mouse driver in Device Manager to try to fix the hanging Windows......(off the subject, what a joke that was)   

Aside from all this, everyone around me was saying that Vista sucks and it supported my contemporary feelings about it.  I'm sure there are experienced people who know what they're talking about when they critisize Vista.  However, I think it's likely that people say it sucks, because everyone else says it does..........if you catch my drift..                        In a nut shell, I believe I spoke too soon about Vista. After I got the basics of computing down, I never had any problems with it..
              Theres my fews cents, on the subject :)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 04:29:39 AM »
                I know what you mean, but even after useing it I dont care for it.  Like all the games go into a folder, I may creat one called games on the desktop.  But I'm able to go there see whats there and launch the ones I want with out issues.