Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is Vista worth it?  (Read 31999 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Is Vista worth it?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 07:16:07 PM »
I'm pulling out my old Win 98 computer from the closet, right now ;D

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 07:16:46 PM »
    patio joing the dark side.   :D  How does it feel?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

rssc

Rookie

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2009, 02:50:34 AM »
      I agree, I have Vista on my laptop now, The GUI is just so memory hogging so I changed it to 'Performance' mode which i think is a massive improvement in response times etc...  :)

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 01:21:10 PM »
      I agree, I have Vista on my laptop now, The GUI is just so memory hogging so I changed it to 'Performance' mode which i think is a massive improvement in response times etc...  :)
      What are the specs on your laptop?

Ironman

Hopeful
      • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
        • Yes
        • My Personal Site
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »
      I happy with XP, don't see the need to upgrade to Vista. One of my friends said that he rather downgrade to Windows 98SE than Vista, I think he was a bit too hash(not to say that 98SE wasn't great).
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:53:04 PM by Ironman »

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:52 AM »
        if i could get windows 7 I recommen it more but it has a virtual xp feature.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #51 on: May 20, 2009, 04:52:57 AM »
        quick question, squall- if you never got a copy of windows 7, how in the bloody hilly countryside of wales could you be a beta tester?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2009, 06:20:46 AM »
           ::)  Its not that hard to figure out, its a two step process you sign up the first few people who download the software acctucally got it then they stoped handing it out.  I wasnt able to cause I didnt have a fast connection at the time till later on.  At this point its takeing a while too since its not as fast as it would have been.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #53 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »
          If you don't have windows 7, you're beta testing it and are thus not a beta tester. It's simple deduction really. You were a prospect for beta testing windows 7. BUT, since you never actually got it, you aren't. And now it's in Release Candidate so there will be no further beta testing anyway.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2009, 08:02:33 AM »
            not exatly, thats not going to be the final version also I do get the mail when you used the beta

Clarkcj

Rookie
              • Yes
            « Reply #55 on: May 20, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
            I say Vista is not really worth it. At least Microsoft made a better one. Windows 7 (RC Version is out right now to downlod from MSDN)

milesman

Beginner

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
              I say Vista is not really worth it.

I agree with Clarkcj, Vista is maybe not the best operating system you can buy. But, like Clarkcj said you can download the WIndows 7 Canidate at:

www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

It's free and work's great! It's still in it's testing stage and (In my opinion) is Better than Vista! It has the look's of Vista and the functionality of XP.

This is a 2.6 GB file! Watch Out dial up!

Hope this helps,

Miles M.
              (| Cha Cha Cha!

2x3i5x

Expert
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #57 on: May 20, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
              At the end, I think it's up to the person using the pc. Are yrou comfortable with it? Does it have all the drivers working for your hardware you need? Are you able to run all the software you want on it? Do you like the interface? Is it running smoothly and not causing problems for you?

Vista is not really garbage to say the least but win7 does provide more. But Vista is supposedly going to be shot in the head by microsoft in 2012 so think about that.  ;D

TheHoFL

Intermediate

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
                I have been running Vista Ultimate for some time and have had no issues. If you want to go to Vista i would recommend Ultimate 64bit version. It runs like a champ!

-HoFL
                All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #59 on: May 20, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
                not exatly, thats not going to be the final version also I do get the mail when you used the beta

apparently your unaware of what "release candidate" means. Only very minor changes will be performed- even smaller then those you'd see in a Service Pack release.

I get mail from a variety of sources but if I got automated advertisements for plumbing supplies I'm not a plumber- I still need to work on pipes to be a plumber, just as anybody would need to- you know- beta test to be a beta tester which means they would need to beta.

It's out of beta. the beta testing is over.