Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Home Page  (Read 16349 times)

bill212

Internet Home Page
« on: May 22, 2004, 03:08:18 PM »
 :-[ Recently my internet home page goes to one that I have not selected. This only changes when I start it after it has been shut down. Everytime I start my computer I must reset the home page on the internet options page. I even selected reset defaults to original position, but this page continues to come up after shutdown. As long as I don't shut down, the correct page comes up everytime I go online. It only happens after it has been shut down. I ran Spybot and Norton Virus scan but nothing was found.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Internet Home Page
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 04:02:03 PM »
    bill212.....go to http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

The latest Ad-Aware .......after you get it installed click on updates to be sure you have the latest and then scan your machine .........I forget what that redirector is called thats causing your trouble but I think Ad -Aware will find it .

let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

july1776

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 04:19:35 PM »
    Go to Internet Options,click programs ,then click reset web settings.

Go online and search for House Doctor free online virus scanner. Scan hard drive.(even if you already have virus protection,this picked up hijack software and my Macafee did not)

Go online run CW shredder.

Lastly if this happens alot download HIJACK THIS or similar hijack preventing program.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 04:32:31 PM »
      bill212.....Read this .......its from Ad-AWARE .......
      Publisher's Description

With its ability to scan your RAM, Registry, hard drives, and external storage devices for known data mining, advertising, and tracking components, Ad-aware can easily rid your system of these tracking components, allowing you to maintain a higher degree of privacy while you surf the Web.
      The redesigned user interface improvements include more flexibility and control. This includes user-defined file sizes, which speeds up the scanning process by excluding files that it recognizes as clean. Other advanced features include automatic quarantine and Recycle Bin storage of removed components, an all-new viewer for backup archives that allows you to quickly and easily review components that have been removed and stored for future restoration, and an integrated reference file updater that can automatically search for new reference files when Ad-aware is started. The latest version includes improved Browser Hijacker detection, HOSTS file scanning, smart scan mode which improves speed and has been optimized to detect content at the root, and much more. Be aware that some ad-supported programs, such as GoZilla Free, will no longer function if you remove their ad modules.

William Kellogg

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 06:50:59 PM »
      Thank you very much for your help.
      I just downloaded and ran the Ad-Aware and it fixed the problem. I am, however, not sure what should have been removed and what should not have. Since it just went into quarantine, I deleted it all.

grateful

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 06:55:35 PM »
      Thank you very much for your help.
      I just downloaded and ran the Ad-Aware and it fixed the problem. I am, however, not sure what should have been removed and what should not have. Since it just went into quarantine, I deleted it all.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 07:43:43 PM »
        bill212....you did the right thing .......delete it all .....be sure to run Ad-Aware at least once a week ......and check for updates each time you use it

dl65  ???