Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lock button in Vista  (Read 2739 times)

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
    Lock button in Vista
    « on: May 10, 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
    Well this is a preventative question. I bought a new computer (Dell Inspiron 530) a while back and it is using Vista which I am getting used to. I noticed a small lock button and Lock in the Start menu which I obviously have not used. My wife uses this computer also and I am afraid that either she or I will hit that button accidentally since it is on the same list as switch users. Can that lock be removed from the system or can you at least tell me what to do when we hit it, (it will happen). We each have admin accounts but neither have passwords. I hate typing it in every time I log in. An administrator account does not show up in the accounts list. Is there one that I should assign a password or does it matter. Your best advice would be appreciated before I am locked out one day. Thanks everyone.
    Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Lock button in Vista
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »

dhinds

Topic Starter

Beginner

• My Katrina Hat
      « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:51:31 AM »
      I pasted gpedit.msc into the start button prompt and got a window but it looks like a normal explorer window with docs, pics etc. Do I navigate some other place once the window opens? I am a little intimidated to go into the registry to try that method. thanks again.
      Memories fade with time, replenish them with new experiences.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »
      You don't need to go into the registry.  To avoid doing so, follow the "Through a Download" approach under Method TWO on the link Broni provided.