Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is User Profiles the same as User Names and Accounts?  (Read 6869 times)

TheHoFL

Intermediate

Re: Is User Profiles the same as User Names and Accounts?
    « Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »
    Please tell us more about being locked out. What happened and how did you get back into your machine?

Just because you got locked out doesn't mean you were hacked. There are other reasons for a machine to lock out an account.

You can lock the computer by accidentally pressing the Windows key and "L". Or by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and clicking lock computer. I have made a script for our users at our campus tht locks the computer when they click it. Most instructor here don't lock their computers and the student mess with them...

Anyway are you clicking anything and getting locked out?

If you can get back into your computer. Try pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and click "Change Password". Then enter the old password and click ok. This will set your password to blank.

Edit: Accidentally quoted all my text. Changed it to just AmyR7's text being quoted.
    Edit: Not sure how to fix that... ???
    Edit: fixed it ... it was annoying me.  :)
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Hi Everyone!!
      • Funtrivia
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 05:43:01 PM »
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294317
    Went to this site never heard of this Fast User Switching until now. I don't even have a password set at all. Whenever I go in Control Panel and to User Accounts it has a place to create a password but no places to change a password and I think that is because I never set one. So, don't know how to change a password when you never created one.
    your screen looked sort of like this.....

www.viu.ca/technology/employees/images/SS.jpg
    Yes, it looked mostly like that, a bit different design in some ways. Said Windows Xp and was blue instead of grayish like this seems to be. But the locked message is the exact same.

TheHoFL

Intermediate

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
      If you are logged in you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click "Change password" or Click Start goto Control Panel then User Accounts.
      All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them.  - Walt Disney

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
      Yes, but I don't even have a password set in the first place for the computer.
      When I hit ctrl, alt, delete I don't get anything that says  Change Password.

hitting ctrl, alt, delete just brings up the Windows Task Manager.

Also, if I go into control panel and then to user accounts there is nothing there that says change password. The only thing there is create a password.

The only passwords I have is for my email and to get into different websites that I have signed up for since when you sign up at websites, you create a username, display name is sometimes something things have you choose to and then you do a password too.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »
      one thing, create a password that you can remember then try logging in with it.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 10:03:06 PM »
      Yes, but why do I need to all of a sudden create a password to use my computer when I have never had one in all these years?
      I have had the computer for like 7-8 years now and the one I had before this one I had for years and never had a password for that either.
      If this isn't something necessary to do, then I don't want to accidently cause a new computer issue that I never had before.

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »
      Yes, but why do I need to all of a sudden create a password to use my computer when I have never had one in all these years?
      I have had the computer for like 7-8 years now and the one I had before this one I had for years and never had a password for that either.
      If this isn't something necessary to do, then I don't want to accidently cause a new computer issue that I never had before.

That was just a thought wondering but maybe someone can verify whether or not it should be done , also, I wondered now, have you tried logging into safe mode to see if same issue come up?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 11:57:21 PM »
      It seems like it had something to do with this on resume password protect getting marked somehow. Since I didn't mark it, is why we think I was hacked.
      Don't even know how to go into safe mode, and since it doesn't come up since taking the checkmark out, do I need to login in safe mode?

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »
      It seems like it had something to do with this on resume password protect getting marked somehow. Since I didn't mark it, is why we think I was hacked.
      Don't even know how to go into safe mode, and since it doesn't come up since taking the checkmark out, do I need to login in safe mode?

logging into safe mode ... see here for instructions on how to enable it :http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm/.

Basically this is what safe mode is .....

Users who may not be able to boot into normal mode or are not able to troubleshoot their computer properly may need to boot into Safe Mode bypassing normal windows settings and startup programs and allowing the user to fix their computer.

So, wondering if you attempt safe mode, would you be still getting the same issue of that password logging in thing not working properly for you.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 12:06:37 AM »
      Yes, but since it's not coming up anymore.
      all we are trying to say is the reason we think my computer was hacked is because of what happened.

2x3i5x

Expert
      « Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
      Yes, but since it's not coming up anymore.
      all we are trying to say is the reason we think my computer was hacked is because of what happened.

ok that is good, I don't think your computer's being hacker personally if you have a strong firewall and a decent antivirus protecting you from strangers on the internet. But glad it's okay for you now, or so it seems  ;D

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Hi Everyone!!
        • Funtrivia
      « Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 02:26:26 PM »
      Wouldn't having spyware make you think you were hacked? The repairman my mom called when the lock message came up, when he brought computer back said found spyware on it. The other weird thing we didn't understand was when he said someone named Amy locked the computer. Since I'm the only one who uses the computer.
      Currently my brother-in-law who knows alot on computers and deals with the computer problems him and my sister have with their computer, is helping me with instructions on here and stuff, but haven't got a chance to do the Combofix thing, but he did  put a bunch of different things on mine and mom's computer(hers is also having a  bunch of problems too). Installed things like Ccleaner, that Malwarebytes thing, ATF cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware SE Personal, and a few other things- Spywareblaster, cwshredder. We have AVG on our computers too. Of course we are also trying to understand now how to use all these things. It's really confusing and have to make sure we don't make a mistake and accidently delete something important.
      I don't even know how to do that Safe Mode thing you mentioned. We can get in it, but don't know what to do after getting in it. Like what to do to fix the computer the steps to do. That's why I need someone who knows what to do to do that type of stuff or walk me through it.