Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad Sectors  (Read 3056 times)

lahratla

Topic Starter

Rookie

Bad Sectors
    « on: May 13, 2009, 08:36:15 AM »
    I am having a Windows XP SP3 loaded laptop that has a Hitachi 80 GB SATA HDD formatted with NTFS. One of the partition of 25GB in size has some bad sectors. When I try to fix the error, I hear rattling sound and the system hangs. This problem also happens occasionally when I try to copy or move some files, especially large ones, to the partition. How do identify/locate the bad sectors? Is it possible to lock/delete the bad sectors so that they are inaccessible to windows. Any solutions to the problem? Please do not suggest buying a new hard disk.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Bad Sectors
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »
    Why should we not suggest a new drive ? ?
    If it's failing...it's failing.
    There are very few repairs that can be done...especially if it's making audible noises.
    Backup your data and do what we're not allowed to suggest...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
    You miight be able to find utilities on the Internet which will allow you to lock out those bad sectors.  That's as far as I will go with that.

That disk is on borrowed time.  It might last a day, a week, or a year.  While the same may be stated for any drive, the chances are against you if it's giving you problems.

I once had a 2GB drive that crashed.  It started back up, and reported to BIOS and Windows that it was a 1GB drive.  It lasted for another year, but I only kept games and things which I could afford to lose at any moment on the drive.  When it finally quit for good, there was no warning.

Make sure you have important information backed up.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »
    which will allow you to lock out those bad sectors
    Unfortunately, from my experience, bad sectors are little bit like a disease....they have a tendency of spreading around.

FlashDriveDT

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
      Yep, I had a HD with bad sectors once too. It kept crawling on for about a year but it decreased its ability to properly store data more and more. If you use Partition Magic you may be able to stabilize part of your HD. Good luck!